Motoplat vs Selettra

Hi all,

Looking for opinions - I know, that will be dangerous...

We have several engines, some have Motoplat, some have Selettra ignitions. We have a Sudam (Selettra) and a TT-75 open (Motoplat) that are used for dirt. The other two controlled engines will be used for road-racing. Both have different ignitions.

My goal is to have both dirt engines with the same ignition and the road-race engines with the same ignition. That way I'll have common spares when at the track. Main question - any difference in performance between the two ignitions ?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

No differences other than age. Just be mindful of the taper sizes and direction of ignitions if right hand or left. As for spares...you usually would only need to carry a spare coil with. It may take a freak of nature to need an entire ignition system. I have done dirt for 20+ years and have only needed a spare Motoplate coil...and that was to help a fellow racer.

Chris I made a post in another thread about ignitions. My question is why would you want to run old ignitions and risk a failure at topend? I have had it happen and its the worst feeling in the world to be in front of a pack and lose fire. I understand you have 4 engines so it would be quite an expense to do all 4 but I would be looking to upgrade to new PVL's and it would be one less thing you have to worry about. Broken wires suck.jmo

Thx Brian - do you know of a good source for complete ignitions at a reasonable price ? I'm not opposed to replacing them.

Isn’t the premise of motoplat, selettra and PVL (two cycle PVL, not 4 cycle) the same as CDI in MX use? The components all differ a little but all 4 systems use a flywheel/magneto/stator/coil pack.

Last edited:
Intersting , I was thinking the same thing .
I wonder about the distinction between it and cdi .
There are electronics in the coil .
The Yamaha has the TCI , transistor controlled ignition .
Maybe they are tci controlled just integrated into the coil ?

I do know coil pack ignition of any sort is taking the current off the stator and amplifying 10 fold for extremely hot and powerful spark for very small amounts of time. Been shocked enough by motoplat and CDI testing spark to know it don’t feel too good compared to an industrial engine!

No dobut , your turn too hold the plug;)
From what i researched transistor ignition run current through the coil constant then collapses the magnetic field for a spark .
Cdi charges a capacitor then sends a flash of current through the coil .
Cdi may need a battery im not 100 % on that , as the boat has cdi and i belive its an ac system with the battery for starting mainly.

Check out Timming is everything by John Copeland of Fox ValleyKarting it's a good article and easy to follow Chuck.

Thx Brian - do you know of a good source for complete ignitions at a reasonable price ? I'm not opposed to replacing them.
I recently bought a complete ignition system for a cr250 build from Dmon/selettra/pvl online, don’t currently remember if it was an eBay link or whatever but I did see a sudam listed in the engine choices. The price was far better than the $500 tags others wanted

Back