Motor assembly/loc-tite

Personally, I don't think Loctite belongs anywhere inside an engine on any bolts. When using lock tight on a bolt that is supposed to be torqued you have to reduce torque rating because Loctite is on the threads. I personally want my rod bolts torqued to spec with no Loctite. There are torque specs for a reason and Loctite will jack up the torque rating when torquing bolts. It doesn't have a place in an engine. Personally, if I had a motor with loctited rod bolts I wouldn't run it and I guarantee I would not have been the person who put it on the rod bolts. Just my opinion but you know about opinions everyone has there own opinion so this is just my opinion. Doesnt mean it is right or wrong this is just how I do it.

Definitely not on rod bolts they need lube for proper torque readings. Just on side cover as dyno don said.

Only thing I use locktite on is my side cover bolts. Not a lot or you can break them trying to get them off. Been there done that. I use just enough to add a little extra bite
That is exactly why I’m asking. I had two side cover bolts back out our backup motor during a practice.

That is exactly why I’m asking. I had two side cover bolts back out our backup motor during a practice.
We had the entire side cover come off last race of the year, he was running top 3 and couldn't figure out why I kept telling him to pull in lol. Can't see the smoke when your going forward....

I use locktite on just about everything, except rod bolts and flywheel. I once used it on a flywheel taper, never again, really hard to get it off. Bolts need to be cleaned first and you only want a small drop. Blue, generally, not red or green at all.

Get a stud kit for the sidecover, if its legal, and you won't have anymore problems. I think they are under $20. It's still a good idea to re-torque them every now and then.

I / we would use blue thread retainer on the flat head rod bolts. This was on the original cast rod / steel dipper era. The cast rods would expand when run at the heat loads of karting and lose preload torque (similar to exhaust bolts).
Other than that, I have not had to use it.

Sidecover bolts and threads get a good cleaning and reinstalled with blue Loctite and 5/16 external star washers. Same with the exhaust studs. Zero problems.

I use the large head sidecover bolts, with a standard lockwasher and torque to spec. I have yet to see one come lose. I use no loctite ever on anything.

Yes and some still work loose
yes to safety wiring? and they still come loose? impossible if they were wired according to military specs. a ton of people have no idea how to correctly safety wire.
6857-1d4900930654b03bed8e2a221fbe18a6.gif

Back