Motor /carb problems

Chad#13

Anyone ever heard of a bad carb causing someone to lack a lot of power on a clone motor ?? This past weekend I started 3rd and by the time the green flag dropped everyone left me would that be a carb problem or what ? I'm lost lol

i had a gasket between the carb and air filter adapter swell and cover the hole on the right side of the carb and that sucker wouldnt run for crap,it idled fine but no get up and go

Would that affect the choke at all ? I can barley bump the choke and it'll shut down and if I get on the throttle it'll take a minute for the motor to catch up

First of all, we need more info. What engine are you on, box stock, or clone/pro clone? Second of all, have you taken your carb apart lately and cleaned it, such as cleaning the jets and passageways in the carb as well as the bore of it? If you can barely bump the choke and your engine shuts down, it sounds like your running pretty rich. Take the kart out and make a couple laps and let it get up to temp then once warmed up, make a pull where you accellerate to your max rpm and shut the engine off while holding the throttle wide open at your max rpm, that is called a wide open throttle cut off. Once you do that, pull the spark plug and see what it looks like. You want the little electrode in the middle of the plug to be a dark tan or dark brown color, almost black but not quite black. If your plug is solid black all the way around and inside, your running way too rich and that is likely why it doesnt have any power or is taking awhile to get up to speed. Also check your low speed jet that is located under the black screw that you turn to adjust your idle speed on the carb. You take that plastic screw out then the low speed jet pops up out of the hole, pop it out with a flat screwdriver. For a clone/pro clone engine, you should have a .022-.026 low speed jet and .037-.041 main jet. For box stock, you would probably use a .019-.024 low speed jet and .028-.036 main jet, depending on your rules, timing, and which air filter and pipe you are using. More info is needed if you want some help figuring it out though, once you post your info somebody here will see what the problem is and help you out. Good luck

Also, when you said it takes a minute for your engine to catch up at the start of a race or green flag, it could also be that your clutch isnt setup properly and is slipping too much on the starts, that would cause your problem. Too low of an engagement on the clutch would also make it seem like it takes your engine a bit to catch up or get up to speed because you are basically starting off below your torque curve of the engine and bogging it down until you get to the peak torque. You need the clutch to engage at peak torque, that will give you instant take-off and power as soon as you stomp the throttle.

one other thing (thanks weddle!!) you might check....look a the position of your fuel filter (do you have it up top near the pump?). might sounds stupid, but i thought that my carb was crap because it was doing the same thing. it was jody at ARC that clued me in to the fact that trying to pull the fuel uphill and against the fuel filter was causing me to the same problems that you are describing. move your fuel filter down by the frame rail....it makes all the difference in the world!!

Process of elimination. Buy/borrow another carb to see if it solves your problem. Make sure you have a good fuel flow to the pump. You can test that by putting a hose on the pump where the pulse line attaches and begin pulsing with your mouth. If you have a good plentiful squirt of fuel coming from the pump, it is good flow.

one other thing (thanks weddle!!) you might check....look a the position of your fuel filter (do you have it up top near the pump?). might sounds stupid, but i thought that my carb was crap because it was doing the same thing. it was jody at ARC that clued me in to the fact that trying to pull the fuel uphill and against the fuel filter was causing me to the same problems that you are describing. move your fuel filter down by the frame rail....it makes all the difference in the world!!
Mike....ur get'n too clever fur this stuff....and sell'n the farm! :)

nah...gotta keep the farm...owe too much on them plow horses and this here go-cart stuff....and the chickens ain't see hide ner hair of that dad-gum rooster since this god awerful cold spell set in....

nah...gotta keep the farm...owe too much on them plow horses and this here go-cart stuff....and the chickens ain't see hide ner hair of that dad-gum rooster since this god awerful cold spell set in....

...got (8) of those 'hay-burners' here but it's 66* and the sun's shining...:) PS....skunk got the rooster and the mean sob deserved it!

The way most engine builders are pulsing the fuel pump is straight out of the top of the block, be sure hose isnt kinked coming through the top plate.

Back