Motor Mount Clamps - how much torque?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

Just started playing with the motor mount clamps so I could set the motor and see where things lined up etc.

What works for tightening these things up? I don't want to damage the tubes - I don't want things coming loose.

I have a T Handle hex driver - just tighten nice and firm with that? Should I get a socket with hex drive and tighten to some number of inch pounds?

thanks!

Are they 2 bolt clamps or one bolt, what size? Do they thread into aluminum or have nuts? Tighten it like you would any other bolt. Tighten each side little by little so you don't tilt the clamp. I use a large ratchet with a hex drive because, it's less strain on my hands. If you can feel the clamp flex you're not going to get anymore clamping force. Carry extra clamp screws, they can fall out, I use blue loctite.

Mine has an adjuster screw. When you're done there should be about 3-5 thou clearance between your adjuster screw and the mount. If they touch the screw will push the mount forward under vibration and tighten the chain too much.

Hope that helps,
Sundog

It's a PMI mount with 2 bolts per clamp. Not sure the size. Right now it's just a dry run to see if everything will fit and how much offset will be needed etc.
thanks!

Their mounts come with two 3/8" bolts and nuts to clamp the top plate to the bottom section. They are the bolts that you tighten after you get things positioned correctly left and right.
I'd suggest you use 2 more of these bolts. Often times i see the top plate shift on the bottom plate and destroy the dovetail joint. Then the mount is pretty much shot.
I automatically include them with all the PMI mounts i sell.

Back