Motorhome Thoughts...

cayjorjan

I would like to get some feedback from any one who currently owns a 40+ft Diesel Pusher. I am thinking of purchasing a 2006-2010 American Heritage, Country Coach Magna, Tiffin, Fleetwood, Newmar or Monaco. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...positive or negative!

Thanks!

Just bought a 2003 allegro this spring and pulled my 16' trailer to mid ohio from ga. Did great and really enjoyed the rv experience. Been out 2 more times since. Mine is a 32' and not a diesel, but did great. I know some campgrounds have a hard time taking a 40' bus. Takes some getting used to driving, especially the West Virginia mountains, but it was all good...

I don't want to discourage you but I have seen people get these and then panic over the maintenance and repair costs. Unless you can work on this this type of stuff I would suggest researching things like what the costs are for oil changes, transmission fluid changes and brake shoe/pad replacement. 35 quarts of engine oil and 100.00 oil filters are not uncommon. 2000.00 brake jobs are not that uncommon. I work with buses and the company I work for manufactured chassis for some of the above RV manufactures. Here are some things to consider when buying a diesel pusher for the first time. When the engine and transmission are under warranty they are great. I have seen people panic over failed transmissions and engines that were not covered under warranty and they were in the warranty period but the failure was outside of what was covered. A good example which I saw a few of is the transmission cooler fails. That puts antifreeze into the transmission even with the transmission cooler design that is supposed to not let the antifreeze go back into the transmission. I have seen 12,000.00 transmission repairs from this. No one will cover the cost. Complicated system to get into here but it happens. I've seen 15,000.00 engine repairs not covered. Why? Pulling a race car trailer. That's a big hit to eat out of pocket. they also hold a lot of coolant. I have seen 25 gallon systems and on a diesel coolant has to be maintained. On then up side they are fantastic to travel in and will pull mostly anything. if I was to look at a pusher the things I would worry about the most are:

A lot of RV ,manufactures scab on to the rear of the frame and the tongue weight can't be much. I see RV bodies sagging and cracked in the back from trailer tongue weight. Be sure it has a full frame. Fleetwood Dreams and American eagles did.

Some will cut a frame in half and make it any length they need it to be. I have seen some un-solvable tire wear issues because the frame was welded back together wrong.

Radiator and cooling fans. Most have radiators and fan drives that work fine for towing light trailers or using a tow bar to pull a car. Put a heavy trailer on them and the whole cooling system is now marginal at best. They look big when you look at them but space limits a properly sized radiator and fan drive system for towing race trailers that are long and heavy. I'd look for one that has the Modine or EMP electric cooling fan package on it. They work very good.

Electric retarders on a RV are tough to cool. With the body configuration on a pusher it is hard to get air flow to get the heat out of the electric retarder.

Transmission repairs are expensive. Allison is the cheapest to maintain, service, and most everyone can work on the Allison. The German transmissions like Voith or ZF are great transmissions but getting repairs and service is tough. Most Cummins distributors are Voith dealers to. Detroit distributors are Allison dealers to. I'm not talking about the service dealers.

RV manufactures tend to build on a chassis and leave very little access for working on it.

Rear your warranty carefully. Most of this stuff requires you to go to the engine, transmission, axle, AC, manufactures service centers for warranty work.

But what ever extended warranties you can get at the time of purchase. Better to be safe.

Be sure you have road service and towing covered under your insurance, especially tire service.

I can work on them and have past up a few good buying deals over the years. I stick with the Class C type RV because you can go to any parts store and get parts, no worse than a pickup to maintain and have towed if needed. Just have to be sure they also have a full frame. RV manufactures will scab on to the frames using thin metal.

Ben braun

I don't want to discourage you but I have seen people get these and then panic over the maintenance and repair costs. Unless you can work on this this type of stuff I would suggest researching things like what the costs are for oil changes, transmission fluid changes and brake shoe/pad replacement. 35 quarts of engine oil and 100.00 oil filters are not uncommon. 2000.00 brake jobs are not that uncommon. I work with buses and the company I work for manufactured chassis for some of the above RV manufactures. Here are some things to consider when buying a diesel pusher for the first time. When the engine and transmission are under warranty they are great. I have seen people panic over failed transmissions and engines that were not covered under warranty and they were in the warranty period but the failure was outside of what was covered. A good example which I saw a few of is the transmission cooler fails. That puts antifreeze into the transmission even with the transmission cooler design that is supposed to not let the antifreeze go back into the transmission. I have seen 12,000.00 transmission repairs from this. No one will cover the cost. Complicated system to get into here but it happens. I've seen 15,000.00 engine repairs not covered. Why? Pulling a race car trailer. That's a big hit to eat out of pocket. they also hold a lot of coolant. I have seen 25 gallon systems and on a diesel coolant has to be maintained. On then up side they are fantastic to travel in and will pull mostly anything. if I was to look at a pusher the things I would worry about the most are:

A lot of RV ,manufactures scab on to the rear of the frame and the tongue weight can't be much. I see RV bodies sagging and cracked in the back from trailer tongue weight. Be sure it has a full frame. Fleetwood Dreams and American eagles did.

Some will cut a frame in half and make it any length they need it to be. I have seen some un-solvable tire wear issues because the frame was welded back together wrong.

Radiator and cooling fans. Most have radiators and fan drives that work fine for towing light trailers or using a tow bar to pull a car. Put a heavy trailer on them and the whole cooling system is now marginal at best. They look big when you look at them but space limits a properly sized radiator and fan drive system for towing race trailers that are long and heavy. I'd look for one that has the Modine or EMP electric cooling fan package on it. They work very good.

Electric retarders on a RV are tough to cool. With the body configuration on a pusher it is hard to get air flow to get the heat out of the electric retarder.

Transmission repairs are expensive. Allison is the cheapest to maintain, service, and most everyone can work on the Allison. The German transmissions like Voith or ZF are great transmissions but getting repairs and service is tough. Most Cummins distributors are Voith dealers to. Detroit distributors are Allison dealers to. I'm not talking about the service dealers.

RV manufactures tend to build on a chassis and leave very little access for working on it.

Rear your warranty carefully. Most of this stuff requires you to go to the engine, transmission, axle, AC, manufactures service centers for warranty work.

But what ever extended warranties you can get at the time of purchase. Better to be safe.

Be sure you have road service and towing covered under your insurance, especially tire service.

I can work on them and have past up a few good buying deals over the years. I stick with the Class C type RV because you can go to any parts store and get parts, no worse than a pickup to maintain and have towed if needed. Just have to be sure they also have a full frame. RV manufactures will scab on to the frames using thin metal.

Ben braun
That was a lot of great information!! Thank you!!

Ben braun

WOW! Very good info and dead on point!

"TRUST" what Ben says!!!! Suggestion: Really....If 'money' is of NO meaning too you....have at it. One thing for sure....a 5yr old Motorhome is 'History'!! Been there, Done that! Good LUCK....:)

Been there, done that. When I started doing research on what to buy I had a priority list. Country Coach was at the top of the list followed by Tiffin then Newmar the rest weren't even close. I ended up buying a Country Coach Allure and was very happy with the way the coach was built and was rated to tow 10,000 pounds. I used it for about 4 years and then sold it when we purchased a permanent place in Texas (winter home).
Pay attention to what Ben said and I will add a few more. Tires only last about 6 years no matter how many miles you put on them and they are EXPENSIVE, up to $500 each. Refrigerators range from $2500-$5000. Mine had 3 very large gel-cell batteries @$700+ each. Add on insurance, license plates, taxes and value loss. -- Chuck

A motorhome or trailer coach is built on an assembly line, just like cars and trucks, keep that in mind when shopping and if you have never owned one find someone who has and take them along to do your walk thru inspection, take someone even if you are a previous RV owner, there is just to much going on for one set of eyes to spot, and some defects are hidden deep in the structure, almost impossible to notice by an inexperienced buyer or the sales people at a dealer, who won't tell you even if they do know. Check the warranty, as most are a 1 year on frame and structure, the other components are between you and the maker(stove,furnace,tv,ac units,engine,transmission,etc.). My step father and mother bought a brand new Allegro and once a year they had to take it to an authorized dealer for regular service and there was always something that had to be addressed/repaired/replaced. These things are big, beautiful,expensive and very MAINTENENCE INTENSE, keep that in mind and btw, water/sun light will be your worst enemy and no insurance company will write in their/your policy coverage for water damage, dry rot of rubber components like tires. Of this I know first hand as I have one that water is destroying as I type this thru no fault of my own, I followed the owners guide but water got in and I was told by the insurance company...sorry about your luck, but you didn't maintain it proper, re-read your policy if you missed it in the first/last middle 500 words and paragraphs...So now I have a loan payment, maybe 10 cents on the dollar in sale value and really not saleable because of its appearance/condition, plus its just 5 years old, and if I do not carry the expensive insurance policy the financial institution will re-po it and lending institutions have buried in my/your loan agreement you must pay them the difference no matter how much they get after they sell it at auction! It's a stacked deck and not in the buyer/end users favor! Be very careful as they make them so pretty/luxurious its hard to not say yes, this is the one I want!

I'm a big fan of the smaller, class "C" motorhomes. Make sure if you need something bigger that you really need something bigger. My parents took me and my brother on a 6-week summer trip out West in a 22' class "C" and we lacked for nothing (that we knew of). Was the shower, sink, and toilet small and uncomfortable? Yes, but they got the job done. The drivetrain is essentially the same as a passenger van (or church van or work van) so it's easy to find dealerships to fix that or sell you the parts you need. It's easier to find campgrounds that can accomodate the smaller size. Plus you can park in a lot more places than you can park your 40' class "A" (bus style). Most class "C" motorhomes can not accomodate a heavy trailer so that is probably their greatest weakness for racing and other hobbies. We carried 4 bicycles on the back instead of dragging a car. Worked great. If I go "RV"ing on my own it will be in a 22' to 24' class "C".

Also, store any RV or camper under a shed with the roof, sides, and tires protected from the sun and rain if you want it to last.

A tent or pop up camper works great and can be pulled by smaller vehicles. I pull my pop up camper with my motorcycle. :)

You can stay a many a night in a Holiday Inn as what the cost of the rv will be. Besides that staying at Holiday Inn will make u a lot smarter.

Back