Motorsports Terms

Seen a add for a motor that had NaN miles on it. What does that mean? Zero? So I found on www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_motorsport_terms.
NaN wasn`t on it but there are some very funny motorsport terms on the list with their definitions. Know what these are, Alphabet soup, Bag of Doughnuts, James Bond, Lollipop, or this one, Meatball? Have fun reading them.

Last edited:
Alphebet soup = mismatched parts
Bag of doughnut= Trashed interior
James Bond = Fast
Lollipop= multi color
Meatball= already been wrecked
MAYBE , NO IDEA actually.

NaN can show up if the person filling out the ad. lists an alphanumeric amount for miles: ie 100K. The form doesn't recognize the letter "K" and spits out NaN as a result when the ad is posted.
We all know what 100K mean -- most don't know what NaN means - imagine that. (millenials trying to make our lives better.)

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

LOL not only do different forms of racing have their odd terms, but the same forms of racing can have different terms depending on where you are in the country.

Hadn't heard of "bag of doughnuts", although had heard of "bag of walnuts" - referring to a car that has very beat up body panels (lots of creases and bumps). You'd find cars like this in the lower classes, usually in the poorly funded teams. Pretty much any car in the Figure 8 class...

The definition for "meatball" that I'd heard referred to a driver who wasn't very talented, and often made dumb mistakes.

When I raced up north, somebody who was "da bomb" meant that he was always fast and did pretty much everything right. When I went down south, "da bomb" meant that somebody's engine was strong but it was going to blow up at any minute.

Up north, races before the feature race were "heats". In the south, races before the feature race were "practice races".

Of course, us rednecks say that a car that doesn't steer into the turns well is "pushing", while the wine-and-cheese crowd says it "understeers".

Kinda like "loose" means the back of the kart hits the wall, and "push" means the front hits the wall. Lol

Kinda like "loose" means the back of the kart hits the wall, and "push" means the front hits the wall. Lol
The probability of someone watching you, is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions - is a bumper sticker
I had on my car for years.

Back