Mount Tires

I know people who flip tires at track…that being said it is the people who scuff tires in on track, they will take a set of tires out for the hot laps and do a few laps then flip and do a few laps after to scuff them. I don’t think it works that well but they like it. I just do my scuffing on the belt driven deal and use a few different steps and I have brand new fresh rubber.
what’s your steps if you don’t mind me asking I have a brand new set of Burris and reapers and don’t want to mess them up and I don’t have the extra cash to have someone do it thanks for your time

The biggest problem with flipping them at the track is finding enough air volume to get them to pop back on. Everyone uses handheld compressors these days, not decent sized compressors.

what’s your steps if you don’t mind me asking I have a brand new set of Burris and reapers and don’t want to mess them up and I don’t have the extra cash to have someone do it thanks for your time
You will need to invest in some good tools.
For mounting & dismounting:
A bead breaker (preferably hydraulic.)
A J-hook to pull the bead over the rim (or spoons.)
Tire band (preferably welded and sized rings.)
Good compressor (the portable will do, but you will need high psi to bead the tires out.)

I would think that you would have everything else you need to flip tires at the track.

For resurfacing:
A belt sander (with multiple grit belts) or angle grinder.
Coolant (I use Windex non-ammoniated.)
Something to turn the tire (preferably a refinishing stand from JesusFreak or similar.)

For many in our sport, it's cheaper to pay someone else to do this for you until you are fully invested in the sport for the long term - at which point you will need all of these items anyway. Tools are always wise investments and hold their value very well when it comes time for resale.

As far as compressors go:
If you are mounting several tires, you'll need volume. If you're just doing a set at a time, one of the little Chi-Com noisemakers from HF will do just fine - as long as the pressure is high enough. The one I use is 175psi max. Volume is always helpful, but as long as you don't mind hearing that little compressor scream, they'll mount any tire we use in karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

OR just get one of these....LOL

Semel.jpg

BTW, not necessary for dirt tires...but occasionally I'll use ours for Vegas.

OR just get one of these....LOL

View attachment 26266
BTW, not necessary for dirt tires...but occasionally I'll use ours for Vegas.
that thing is awesome lol well I have everything you said except a belt sander if I have a brand new set of Burris how do I scuff the tires? What grit of sandpaper do I start out with and what do I end with or if I’m totally completely wrong watch the process for brand new tires

that thing is awesome lol well I have everything you said except a belt sander if I have a brand new set of Burris how do I scuff the tires? What grit of sandpaper do I start out with and what do I end with or if I’m totally completely wrong watch the process for brand new tires
First, I'd start off by sending them to someone like Brian Carlson and have him cut and balance to the appropriate shape and thickness for the tracks you'll be running.

Most of the info given in this thread is just for refinishing tires that have been cut. Or have been previously raced and need a new finish. You can cut tires with a bondo file, but you'll need some knowledge of how to do it and it's not a good idea to start out on a new Burris. Most cutters freeze them. You can sand and shape them, but without some knowledge you'll land in a pile of useless rubber.

Cutting and surfacing are two separate things.
Cutting is setting a profile and thickness of tire if it needs it, "Burris definitely do."

Surfacing is for removing dead rubber, removing a small amount of rubber to bring good fresh rubber to the surface. Or removing feathering or excessive tire wear from a tire that was run too soft or overheated.

For surfacing you start with the lowest grit to remove feathering in about two passes.
If there is no feathering, start with a medium grit for the surfaces you'll be racing on. Burris that's about 240, or as high as 320. You're just wanting to take off dead rubber. Then you'll go to your highest grit for the surface you intend to run. High bite usually you want higher grits. As high as 4-600 grit. Low bite, you want a lower grit.

Last edited:
You will need to invest in some good tools.
For mounting & dismounting:
A bead breaker (preferably hydraulic.)
A J-hook to pull the bead over the rim (or spoons.)
Tire band (preferably welded and sized rings.)
Good compressor (the portable will do, but you will need high psi to bead the tires out.)

I would think that you would have everything else you need to flip tires at the track.

For resurfacing:
A belt sander (with multiple grit belts) or angle grinder.
Coolant (I use Windex non-ammoniated.)
Something to turn the tire (preferably a refinishing stand from JesusFreak or similar.)

For many in our sport, it's cheaper to pay someone else to do this for you until you are fully invested in the sport for the long term - at which point you will need all of these items anyway. Tools are always wise investments and hold their value very well when it comes time for resale.

As far as compressors go:
If you are mounting several tires, you'll need volume. If you're just doing a set at a time, one of the little Chi-Com noisemakers from HF will do just fine - as long as the pressure is high enough. The one I use is 175psi max. Volume is always helpful, but as long as you don't mind hearing that little compressor scream, they'll mount any tire we use in karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
hey Brian what would your price be to cut a set of Burris 33 for Ben Hur, and a set of cobras for Ben Hur??? Thanks again for all the help

As ABR stated, Burris MUST be cut since they are a thick rubber tire. For Ben Hur, you'll want round or semi-round profile. Our High Crown, Crown, and Intermediate Vector Cutz work very well there. A set of good cuts on that track will pick up a full second over sticker Burris.

For finishing, I like to plateau finish all of our tires (no matter the brand.) 80-120-220 is typical Burris 33 finish. If the track surface will be hard, then I go smoother to 400.

HC.jpg

Inter.jpg

You'd have to check with Sarah in the shop office, but I think you're around $100/set to mount, size, cut, plateau finish, and balance a set of 4 tires.
Give us a call - we can get you going the right direction.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407