Mounting Champion Rockers

mikey56

Decided to pull the champion rockers out and mount them on the 730 heads. how much do i need to tell the machinst to cut from the rocker perches to accommodate them? i'm running a 356 cam in one and a 275 cam in mine.....both engines will use 5.175 chrome moly pushrods......both heads will be milled (mine already is) .040....

reason is simple...i've got them, i like them and i'm not all that convinced that the rocker swivel points (the rocker stud) is all that good...after snapping 2 brand new, right out of the pack, head bolts...i ain't so sure that stock rod studs wouldn't be the same way....lots of stress at that point and i figure if i can reduce that stress, then i'm coming out ahead!

You shouldn't have too machine anything when adapting the Champion's! You have the Champion Pedistal/Stud Kit....Right? Simply remove the stock rocker studs and guide plate and install the Champion Studs. I am using 'stock' length push rods on my '275' cam(s), but you 'may have2 shorten them for bigger-lift cams.

thanks screamer!! i'll try it and see!! i have all the studs and bolts and rockers (two sets)...i'll try the stock length push rods on mine and then the 5.175 on the 356 cam....big thanks for your help!

Decided to pull the champion rockers out and mount them on the 730 heads. how much do i need to tell the machinst to cut from the rocker perches to accommodate them? i'm running a 356 cam in one and a 275 cam in mine.....both engines will use 5.175 chrome moly pushrods......both heads will be milled (mine already is) .040....

reason is simple...i've got them, i like them and i'm not all that convinced that the rocker swivel points (the rocker stud) is all that good...after snapping 2 brand new, right out of the pack, head bolts...i ain't so sure that stock rod studs wouldn't be the same way....lots of stress at that point and i figure if i can reduce that stress, then i'm coming out ahead!

The hardware on clones is pretty bad quality I've discovered. I do run the stock head bolts on stock applications, but on mods I change them out for a better grade bolt. You can feel the difference torqing them.

after this last, shall we say disheartening, experience with head bolts, i'm going with studs on my stock appearing engines. I just can't risk brand new blocks with bolts that I can't trust. maybe is was just a case of a bad batch, but then again, we all see too many times the company's desire to make more money and provide cheaper and inferior quality products. the only thing that i'm being very careful about is the side cover bolts...important yes....but not as "critical" as a head bolt...first sign of trouble and they are going in the trash....

after this last, shall we say disheartening, experience with head bolts, i'm going with studs on my stock appearing engines. I just can't risk brand new blocks with bolts that I can't trust. maybe is was just a case of a bad batch, but then again, we all see too many times the company's desire to make more money and provide che aper and inferior quality products. the only thing that i'm being very careful about is the side cover bolts...important yes....but not as "critical" as a head bolt...first sign of trouble and they are going in the trash....
ALL Chinese bolts are ....a Bad batch! :)

im using champion rockers had no problems with installation, red locktight std ft lbs of torque, using dual springs and a 360 lift cam

jrw31526.....what length of pushrods are you using? or are the 5.175 enough for the 356/360 lift cam? i think that the stock length for my cam will be sufficient, but time will tell!! Thanks to every one of you guys!! your experiences and expertise is very much....very, very much....apprecaited!! contrary to what others may write about sharing information and tips/tricks....(see the thread started by weddle racing)....and thanks to him too!!

i ain't the smartest or the best, but if i can help in any way, give me a holler!!

mike

im using isky billet lifters and 5.070 pushrods, my head is milled .080 but i am using a .048 hg, my valve lash is set at .000 just enough to spin the pushrod on the intake and .003 on the exhaust, thats just what my engine likes though, the 5.175 push rods should be fine if you have the head milled down a bit if not you should be ok with std pushrods, imo

Back