Moving LR in or out for tightening kart up??

mmrecon28

Question about if u are maxed out on cross does moving the left rear out more tighten the kart up? Or does it loosen it up by moving it out?

Depends if your definition of loosen, Moving LR out enhances rotation middle to turn exit, moving RR out would fall more in line with loosening it up.

I assume your having a handling issue which leads to your question, If so I would also based on the way you ask the question assume your tight to push middle to exit of the turns, If a handling issue confirm what and where and list class & weight and current set-up including cambers, plus which tire your on and we can help you out.

It is not an adjustment that does much, over the years we set it to where the kart manufacturer suggests and mostly leave it alone. To answer your question, moving it out will increase cross but is probably a band aid at best. Assuming you don't have something bent you may need to adjust weights or seat position. Your best bet to get some informed information is to post what you have for a kart, all your numbers and the nature of the handling problem.

Its for 375 pro clone heavy. 2018 minecon. Loose going in. Its a small- medium size track. I have cross all the up as high as it will go. Im maxed out with washers. Camber is 1/2 left and 2 1/2 right side. Pills are set at 7 left and 10 right. Track has alot of banking. I know last race everyome was loose because track conditions were extremely slick. I prepped more for this weeks race

Its for 375 pro clone heavy. 2018 minecon. Loose going in. Its a small- medium size track. I have cross all the up as high as it will go. Im maxed out with washers. Camber is 1/2 left and 2 1/2 right side. Pills are set at 7 left and 10 right. Track has alot of banking. I know last race everyome was loose because track conditions were extremely slick. I prepped more for this weeks race
Left ? Nose ? Cross ? Numbers

Left 60% nose 45.5 and cross was 67-68
Decrease left some, Decrease LF pos camber to .25, that will help the loose in. I wrenched a Minecon last season for clone 340 lb we had it real good with 59% left, 46% nose, 66% cross, 2.65 RF neg camber, .25 LF pos camber, at 66 % cross we had plenty of adjustment left to add cross.

Last edited:
Decrease left some, Decrease LF pos camber to .25, that will help the loose in. I wrenched a Minecon last season for clone 340 lb we had it real good with 59% left, 46% nose, 66% cross, 2.65 RF neg camber, .25 LF pos camber, at 66 % cross we had plenty of adjustment left to add cross.
Ill give it a shot. Thank u

Im no Phantom expert, but I would change a camber setting like taking some left front out as stated above. When you are moving the left rear in and out you change the timing of unload/load (stated above), you change your left side weight..... decreasing your lf camber to more towards 0 you are not only going to have that left rear unload "slower" but you are also going to raise your cross a little more thus putting more weight on the left rear and right front. thus a double fix of not only slowing down the unload but also putting more weight on the left rear......

Typing behind a screen and actually showing it all happen on scales are two totally different things so take any advice into consideration and dont over think things.....

JR Curtis
JRC Performance
(309) 281-0266

It is not an adjustment that does much, over the years we set it to where the kart manufacturer suggests and mostly leave it alone. To answer your question, moving it out will increase cross but is probably a band aid at best. Assuming you don't have something bent you may need to adjust weights or seat position. Your best bet to get some informed information is to post what you have for a kart, all your numbers and the nature of the handling problem.
In my experience, moving the LR out decreases cross. Moving the LR in also tightened me up on entry since you are sitting on the LR more. I would think that bite in the tires, tire duro, or RF Camber is more the issue though.

If you are adjusting your left rear in and out to fix an entry problem, that is an issue.... Id go back to whoever told you to do it and tell them they are wrong...... Let them know JR Curtis said they were.....

A general rule to go by........
Having issues entering the corner, then its a front end issue......
Having issues exiting the corner, then its a rear end/rf issue.......

Now tell us about the center JR. That's the big one for me

The big one for you? explain the situation .....

Usually if someone has an issue at the "apex" or "center" of the corner it can be a few things:
1) Your transfer is way to quick/Unloading your left rear when wheel input occurs
2) Your transfer is "lazy"...... Yes there is a time and place when your kart will push at apex at a lower cross weight.(running too much neg rf camber (but in the recommended range), not allowing any of that weight transfer load up on the rf contact patch to help the kart turn, thats where adding cross would help a push apex out) Running lower cross in general makes a kart lazy. There is no speed produced with a lower cross kart set up. (hence burning up the inside corner of rf tire which allows you to run more neg rf camber thus creates less drag down the straightaway creating more speed)

Usually when you have a center of a corner problem its about how you are approaching the corner. Like in your post above moving the lr in and out is crucial due to the timing of when the load on the lr leaves and comes back onto that tire. I tend to usually just set my left rear at 1" off the frame and leave it..... with my program it works and thats what i recommend.... I know others like it at 3/4"

I think the center is the hardest part of the whole track. IMO If you are slow, you are slow there. I'm about .2-.3 off the pace.
I am a bigger guy @ 250lbs and learning this chassis setup game still. Just looking for that magic trick to rotate a heavy high HP kart. Oh and I am not the best driver in the world either, but I'm average.
2012 Excentric UAS kart, 450 w/gearbox Usually on Hoosiers now working with Maxxis tires. If I keep my air pressure split in the rear over 2 psi it does lots better.
Can I text you some details? Not really wanting to broadcast everything anymore.

Back