Moving LR in or out for tightening kart up??

I think the center is the hardest part of the whole track. IMO If you are slow, you are slow there. I'm about .2-.3 off the pace.
I am a bigger guy @ 250lbs and learning this chassis setup game still. Just looking for that magic trick to rotate a heavy high HP kart. Oh and I am not the best driver in the world either, but I'm average.
2012 Excentric UAS kart, 450 w/gearbox Usually on Hoosiers now working with Maxxis tires. If I keep my air pressure split in the rear over 2 psi it does lots better.
Can I text you some details? Not really wanting to broadcast everything anymore.
Yes sir.... 3092810266

The big one for you? explain the situation .....

Usually if someone has an issue at the "apex" or "center" of the corner it can be a few things:
1) Your transfer is way to quick/Unloading your left rear when wheel input occurs
2) Your transfer is "lazy"...... Yes there is a time and place when your kart will push at apex at a lower cross weight.(running too much neg rf camber (but in the recommended range), not allowing any of that weight transfer load up on the rf contact patch to help the kart turn, thats where adding cross would help a push apex out) Running lower cross in general makes a kart lazy. There is no speed produced with a lower cross kart set up. (hence burning up the inside corner of rf tire which allows you to run more neg rf camber thus creates less drag down the straightaway creating more speed)

Usually when you have a center of a corner problem its about how you are approaching the corner. Like in your post above moving the lr in and out is crucial due to the timing of when the load on the lr leaves and comes back onto that tire. I tend to usually just set my left rear at 1" off the frame and leave it..... with my program it works and thats what i recommend.... I know others like it at 3/4"
I agree with everything u said. I dont know why i messed with LR. I usually wouldnt. I think big issue was that day was the water truck was broken so the track was a slick no grip mess. Even with PRW it was slick still. But will make adjustment in front end next time. Thanks for feed back.

Depends if your definition of loosen, Moving LR out enhances rotation middle to turn exit, moving RR out would fall more in line with loosening it up.

I have debated this with several, and used to think this was the case but have changed my mind a few years ago. I use the see-saw fulcrom analogy. If you have a very long seesaw (axle) and this pivots on a fulcrom you have less distance to travel at either end to get to the ground (the weight transfer aspect). If you have a very short axle you have a larger distance to cover, taking it longer to transfer the weight. So back to karts, coming out of the corner with the LR out, the weight will come back faster, making you tighter..

I have debated this with several, and used to think this was the case but have changed my mind a few years ago. I use the see-saw fulcrom analogy. If you have a very long seesaw (axle) and this pivots on a fulcrom you have less distance to travel at either end to get to the ground (the weight transfer aspect). If you have a very short axle you have a larger distance to cover, taking it longer to transfer the weight. So back to karts, coming out of the corner with the LR out, the weight will come back faster, making you tighter..

You are over thinking it...... You cant think of it as a seesaw unfortunately..... why? great question...... The "load" of a kart relies on 4 points of contact to the track.....Not just the two points (LR and RF)..... If you are loose center off try moving the left front out (not recommended) but try it..... Heres a common thing to know..... (LR to RF to LF to RR back to LR.....repeat......) this is why Cross and Left side weight % are crucial. There are so many other variables to throw in to this...... (Nose weight, VCG, Stagger just to name a few......)

So to think of it as a seesaw I would say is not realistic......

JR Curtis
Ultramax Racing Chassis
JRC Performance
(309)281 0266

anytime you move a tire away from VCG weight transfer slows to and fro, and the amount it transfers changes

Back