Muffler Safety Cable

jaymancds

My local track requires that the muffler be safety wired to the engine in some way. I have some safety wire I picked up from a buddy, but I am kind of struggling with the best way to get it on there, twisted up, tight, and decent looking. Can anybody give me a tip on how to do this?

They make twisting pliers but you can do it by hand. 8-10 twists per inch. If you get the pliers file the jaws smooth so it doesn't cut into the wire.

I take 2 or 3 strands and chuck them up in the drill and put your other end in the vice. It twists it up nice and tight.

Also keep in mind if you choose to run the wire thru the baffle holes in the muffler be sure to not pull it super tight. I've seen DQ's due to the wire cracking the baffle over time.

Also keep in mind if you choose to run the wire thru the baffle holes in the muffler be sure to not pull it super tight. I've seen DQ's due to the wire cracking the baffle over time.
I'm not familiar with the terminology quite yet. What do you mean by baffle?

Baffle is the little plate in the output end of muffler .
Snake the wire through then twist tight .
Attach the othe end to a hole in pipe brace .
Yes bend as needed . You may need to untwist some .

The newer RLV mufflers all have two attaching points welded onto the OD of the muffler for the purpose of attaching safety wire.
I like to run ours back through the muffler clamp and header support strap.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back