Muffler Tech with respect to rules

Oh I have one, how can someone get tossed when their muffler passes the no-go gauge test but fails a specific gauge the tech man created with no written rule about it?

His explanation was if the gauge can go through the 2nd set of baffle holes its a failure. I understand the sentiment he's going for, but failing an engine for a rule not in the briggs rulebook doesnt sit right with me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-143114_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-143114_Drive.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 83
Per the Briggs rules...the tech man can use whatever tools he deems helpful, even outside the list of tools specified in the rule book. Rule 4E -- it's even highlighted in the 2020 rules.
One example of a particular tool that I use in the tech barn checks the radius (and depth) of the intake bowl and helps visually identify the transfer area of the inside radius from intake track to the bowl/seat area.

Now...I would be more interested in knowing why the 2nd baffle failed tech - it cannot be modified, and should still measure correctly per the rules.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Last edited:
Brian, that's a really good point about 4E. Full disclosure this wasn't my engine I was just observing and talking with the tech man after the fact. The though was the inner baffles were opened up somehow and then reassembled, which is supposedly why the gauge can go through 2 sets of baffle holes. But since the gauge is a go anyway, arnt you setting yourself up to incorrect failures by the happenstance the last 2 rows of baffles are lined up from the factory?

RLV has a diagram of the baffles and all measurements. If I was engaging in tech of the silencer beyond what was stated in the 206 rules, I would be using this diagram as the basis for my "comparison to a known stock part". I am trying to remember, but I believe all the holes are the same spec......to toss the inner for being "opened", I am curious how he made a no go gauge that would go through the first set of holes...I am equally curious to how some one would get into the inner baffles without leaving other tell tale marks.

This whole issue has sounded fishy to me since I first read it. Every time I read it again, it just sounds more fishy.

I saw the tech guys at a big race using what looked like a long small punch to the fit down in the holes.

To be clear (or add to the craziness), this happened at a "WKA National" event. We aren't talking some local track tech guy.

This whole issue has sounded fishy to me since I first read it. Every time I read it again, it just sounds more fishy.
It's all in the details , which are not seemingly here .
Without bashing the tech man , they are never thanked enough .
Sounds like team orders .

The muffler in question also “obviously had the rolled edge altered” appearing to allow some alteration. I was told it was confiscated to be sent to RLV. I’ve seen tech men use the pin tool to help count the baffles in the muffler. If the muffler is proven to be altered which was the ruling then how they come to that conclusion doesn’t matter to me.

The muffler in question also “obviously had the rolled edge altered” appearing to allow some alteration. I was told it was confiscated to be sent to RLV. I’ve seen tech men use the pin tool to help count the baffles in the muffler. If the muffler is proven to be altered which was the ruling then how they come to that conclusion doesn’t matter to me.

Sounds like you got more info than me. How do i get on that email list ;)

Sending it to RLV for inspection based on some visual and other inconsistencies seems legit.

Back