Multi groove track

Tricketts

Looking into putting a new track together and I’d like to try to get two equally fast lanes. I’m interested if anyone has tried a flat bottom groove and a banked outside groove and how did it work.

ive never seen it work like that, and cant wrap my head around how you could make that happen. if you are set on a two grove track banked is the best way to acheive that imo.

All the local tracks around here seem to get marbles/dust up out of the groove. I've always asked them to water that area at least at intermission if not every other race, it gives the guys on the outside somewhat of a chance, not a great chance but better than getting out in it and spinning out or hitting the wall.

All the local tracks around here seem to get marbles/dust up out of the groove. I've always asked them to water that area at least at intermission if not every other race, it gives the guys on the outside somewhat of a chance, not a great chance but better than getting out in it and spinning out or hitting the wall.
Same here. I’m hoping if I can get them up high to work that area in practice to get it sealed off, then open up the bottom and maybe use a leaf blower to keep the marbles off the banking between races it might have a chance at keeping the groves relatively equal.

Same here. I’m hoping if I can get them up high to work that area in practice to get it sealed off, then open up the bottom and maybe use a leaf blower to keep the marbles off the banking between races it might have a chance at keeping the groves relatively equal.
I love the idea, just know most karters are bottom feeder lol. the high line will almost always have marbles, dust, etc. in it

I’m going to put my best foot forward and see if I can put something together. Just hoping someone out there has had success with it. I’d like to see someone fly around the outside passing those bottom people.

most tracks I have been too will put out cones to try to work in a second grove, its for racing they said, its for starts they said, then green flag drops and your single file anyways. lol. imo to get a good second grove track I would try to make 2 identical tracks over lapping each other. meaning have a good bank on both sides that would maybe require a different gear to run if you was going to stay on the bank the entirety of the race, and have a lower flatter groove that might require a different gear if you was going to stay on the bottom the entire race. a lot of tracks run similar lap times around here and are different, very interesting to think about.

I’m going to put my best foot forward and see if I can put something together. Just hoping someone out there has had success with it. I’d like to see someone fly around the outside passing those bottom people.
Dirt instead of clay. Keep it very wet.
My favorite track is like that. It takes courage but you can run 2 wide all the way around and win from the outside.

Only consistent and 2 lane kart track I ever seen was Borgers in PA when it was dirt... the bottom would be so rough you could roll the top and make it work 👌. Millbridge looked good the other night for the DNQ series, very wide with outside passes.

I ran Shellhammers for years, very high bank with very good clay, still can’t get off the bottom

You have to have the bottom flat and leave a lane or so up from that and have it banked well. Do the majority of your practice in the outside lane and open up the track to the full width towards the end of practice and for racing. As the night goes on the bottom will get better if guys choose to run there and clean it up. Many will choose to wait it out and ride in the clean top. Regardless racers will decide where the line will be. But I think if you focus on making the top good (not equal to the bottom) and leave the bottom kinda sub par at the beginning of the day it will be somewhat equal. The key is timing on when to open it up. If you see the track is getting really good fast you need to move the cones down so the bottom can get some bite to prevent people trying to pull slide jobs. The shortest way is the bottom and after awhile the line will usually go there and it is what it is and the key is hitting it with the right timing so it doesn’t get that way by the end of the night.

You have to have the bottom flat and leave a lane or so up from that and have it banked well. Do the majority of your practice in the outside lane and open up the track to the full width towards the end of practice and for racing. As the night goes on the bottom will get better if guys choose to run there and clean it up. Many will choose to wait it out and ride in the clean top. Regardless racers will decide where the line will be. But I think if you focus on making the top good (not equal to the bottom) and leave the bottom kinda sub par at the beginning of the day it will be somewhat equal. The key is timing on when to open it up. If you see the track is getting really good fast you need to move the cones down so the bottom can get some bite to prevent people trying to pull slide jobs. The shortest way is the bottom and after awhile the line will usually go there and it is what it is and the key is hitting it with the right timing so it doesn’t get that way by the end of the night.
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple slide jobs lol, don't think many would be smooth enough to get it done clean though.

Just something to remember you cannot just let the bottom go to long and let it dry out to much till karts run it or it will never come in, karts gotta run it some while moisture is still present for it to get good and hold up.

add 600cc sprints to your program... A track i frequented, 1/6 mile, banked, convex corners 18*, fast, multiple lanes. lots of water the night before and all the way up to practice. rolled in with bald golf kart tires, (smooth) with some trucks with smooth tires on them. light sprnkles of water along the outer grove a few times through out the night. The sprints use more of the surface area and make multiple lanes for the karts. Sprints have their own inherent issues. Banking is a must for extra lanes... Just what we did.

Literally just had this problem happen at our last points race here....
New track, WIDER track all the way around....and only 1 line to run on that night. The track crew did a GREAT job working the track to give us racers the opportunity to run a multi-line track but the racers didn't take advantage of it and wasted the efforts of the track crew.
You can setup the track however you want equal all the way from top to bottom but if the racers don't take chances to utilize all the space then there will only be 1 line by the end of the night. SUPER frustrating as a driver as I'm now 'stuck' to playing follow the leader as there's no other usable space since everyone stuck to 1 path to pack in during the night.

We had 1 amazing night of track where there was definite use of multiple lines that everyone could take advantage of depending on how they wanted to drive.....how did it happen?....the track crew didn't give the drivers hardly anything to work with on track prep. They left the track slightly dusty top to bottom. The dirt was never wet enough for the soil to be packed in. They left it hard and on the dryer side all night. It enabled lines to be expanded all over because it was the same top to bottom and couldn't be "hardened". IMO...that was a fun night. Racers were RACING...not passing just because the person in front made a mistake that you then capitalized on. People passed because their line had an advantage in turn 1 and 2 whereas others had a better line on 3 and 4. It was fun to watch and be a part of that night.
Figure out your racers IMO...if they're used to 1 line tracks then don't give them a track to "form" it. Make them DRIVE.

Back