Must have tools?

I switched to channel lock, lowes has one where u hit a switch and ylu can go from the direction of taking the axle ring off to taking the inner hub ring off. And heavy duty.

Flattop, who sells klien? I have one wrench of theres and i really like the design of it.

They may not have snap ring pliers .
Typically an industrial supply or tool supply ,weding shop , applince parts store Or one of the few good hardware stores left .
Some mom an pop place .
Grainger , fastnal etc .

They may not have snap ring pliers .
Typically an industrial supply or tool supply ,weding shop , applince parts store Or one of the few good hardware stores left .
Some mom an pop place .
Grainger , fastnal etc .
I gathered cheap wrenches over yrs at flea markets. Teckron and cline being the better tools.
I know lots of wrenches have that curve for the box end. Klien feels like it has a extra curve.

Myself as well , garage sale , estate sales can produce good quality older tools . even the pawn shop ,
300 sockets 4 good name brand

I’ve been carrying around my small toolbox stuffed full of tools that have no business being around a kart. My boys and I streamlined the box so we no longer need a gorilla to carry it.. we only have the proper sized tools the karts utilize.. the first race out I’ll be missing something I used to carry tho! Lol

a good 1/4 drive socket set and a small 3/8 drive set. Allen wrenches t handle and L and a few screw drivers. Common small wrench sets from 5/16 to 3/4 and it’s metric equivalents. A set or 2 of vice grips, good pliers and snap ring pliers and a good heavy dead blow hammer. Cordless drill and the 1/4 drive impactor for tires. Good set of drill bits as well. 5/16 nut driver for air filters this is a great thing to have cause the wife/kids can change it and you don’t have to worry if it’s tight. Cheap pair of digital readout calipers. I believe I got everything listed on sale at sears and threw it in an old craftsman box I had for the racetrack and was like 200 bucks.

Two last things a magnetic tool cup or tray as well. And find a big strong magnet like off the back of a speaker and put a string on it and leave it on the side of your toolbox. If I had a dollar for every time something fell in the grass in the pits and that magnet saved me!

One organizer for carbs/parts, one for drivers/clutch. Another for suspension pieces and bolts. I will probably have another by this winter and i've only been racing karts since winter.

So what brand is "Good" for snap ring pliers? I wrastled mine last night for 30min and finally gave up.
I take snapon snap ring pliers with me... I may have paid a lil extra for them but they are great tools. I would suggest any brand that has a lifetime warranty though that way ypu are not out more bucks if they do break

To narrow it down some .
It looks like.
Chain Breaker
Snap ring pliers
Air gauge
Bead breaker .
The rest you can borrow .

Ok now kart specific tools they are in another box. Clone spring height gauge, shims and spring changing tool, feeler gauges, timing light, pin gauges, Flathead Allen wrench, flywheel tool and starter tool and spring tool, stagger tape, 2 good low pressure air gauges, spark plug gapper, heli coil kits, assorted thickness zip ties for setting coil air gap, 1/4 drive inch pound torque wrench and 1/2 drive lb/ft wrench. I know I’m missing something .. I should just take a picture.

I keep my tools in a Platt box and when I keep it organized o_O it does really well.
I keep my most-used tools in the slots and ready to go. My ratchet always has the
sparkplug socket on. My 1/4" allen for the motor mount is always right there. I bought a
battery powered ratchet and carry it to the start grid with sockets to change the starter assembly
and it's already saved us once. Carry a spare plug just in case (I've only needed it once.)
I don't carry everything I could possibly use/need to the track because there's never
enough time to do major work before the next race. My philosophy is that if you have to
do major work at the track in order to race (barring a wreck or catastrophe), you were not
ready to go to the track.
You could probably do most races with an impact for tire changes, tire pressure guage,
a screwdriver, sparkplug wrench and a 1/4" allen.
I leave my dyno and boring bar at home.

Last edited:
1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" socket sets tend to have a bit of overlap. To keep the pounds of tools under control I have mostly 3/8ths" drive sockets, ratchets, breaker bars and extensions with a few extra 1/4" and 1/2" sockets to cover the bigger and smaller sizes not available in 3/8". A couple sets of socket adapters and you are golden.
I keep a few trailer and tow vehicle tools, lug nut sockets, and adapters in a separate box with the longest breaker bar I can get my hands on. A 2 and a half foot long piece of an old axle as a "helper" for the breaker bar is handy. Leverage is your friend.
John

Back