My latest creation In Corner Weights.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Got this basic idea from the Internet, I think I've made some significant improvements. This weight stand is adjustable in width, on both ends, separately, and length. Leveling jacks at all 4 corners, my own design, very easy to use.
Best of all, the whole thing is easily disassembled, and reassembled, for easy transit to and from the track.
It's probably less expensive than my original design.

5  -26 -2020 weight stand.jpg

By looking at this, I have 2 questions. 1- how do you adjust the height with the pads covering the adjuster's
2- why not make both sides a slip joint design, or is this more toward wide track width of an asphalt sprint kart.

The scale pads will have holes in them. You adjust the height with an Allen wrench. A threaded rod is in the tube welded to the frame. The threaded rod will turn independent of the base. I haven't really come up with the final solution to that.
This frame will adjust to the widest Sprint kart and the narrowest LTO and the longest road race kart. The width on the front is adjustable, notice the 2 colors of the crossmember there. There's a bar inside those 2 square tubes. The side rails pivot and the crossbar in the rear expands. That rear bar is in 3 pieces, two 1 inch bars fit inside that 1 1/2 inch tube. They mount and swivel on both ends.
The rear pads, along with the side rails, which pivot off the front crossbar, are adjustable to accommodate different wheel bases and widths.
I figure it would take no more than one half hour to assemble or disassemble everything. The adjustable leveling pads would remain attached to the sidebars. The crossbars and tire pads are easy to assemble or disassemble. Leveling everything, while very easy, might take some time. Of course to accomplish this he would need a 4 foot level.
I don't think I want to build this, but I would be willing to sell the plans, all dimensioned, for $50. I'm right now in the process of producing JPEG files. Everything on one CD disc.
I'm working on the dimensioning still.

Most every scale stand ive seen is adjustable at all 4 corners, and easily comes apart for transport, along with adjustability for length.
Even the versions that you would not transport are adjustable at all 4 corners.
With your version Al, it becomes non adjustable at the corners once you install the scale pads. Most level their scale stands with the pads installed in place.

Most every scale stand ive seen is adjustable at all 4 corners, and easily comes apart for transport, along with adjustability for length.
Even the versions that you would not transport are adjustable at all 4 corners.
With your version Al, it becomes non adjustable at the corners once you install the scale pads. Most level their scale stands with the pads installed in place.
Not true at all. The pictured weight stand is fully adjustable when fully assembled. Width, length and height! I think it would be very stupid of me not to anticipate that things need to be adjusted as easily as possible.
As far as there being other designs with similar features, I did say I got the idea for this particular piece of equipment from other sources. Negative comments should have some basis in facts. Read my sig., I stand by it 100%.
For instance, you might've said "how are you going to adjust the height with the tire pads already installed"?

Not true at all. The pictured weight stand is fully adjustable when fully assembled. Width, length and height! I think it would be very stupid of me not to anticipate that things need to be adjusted as easily as possible.
As far as there being other designs with similar features, I did say I got the idea for this particular piece of equipment from other sources. Negative comments should have some basis in facts. Read my sig., I stand by it 100%.
For instance, you might've said "how are you going to adjust the height with the tire pads already installed"?
By the way you have it drawn, it is seemingly impossible to adjust height after the pads are on. It would be stupid of you to not anticipate that things need to be adjusted. Perhaps its in the view we have, or a section view we could've seen how you had the corner height adjusters working. As it is currently shown, once you put the pads on, you can no longer adjust height. (Source: am Industrial Engineer, and drafting paid me through my first 2 years of college)

Either way it seems to me that SoCo was just pointing out a potential design annoyance/problem. Not a negative comment per say. You can't post something like this and not expect somebody to point out how they would do it differently. That's part of it, it wouldn't be any fun if everybody said "This is the best thing Ive ever seen".

Your sig doesn't really say anything other than that you are super confident in what you say. Which is cool, nothing wrong with that, but none, and I mean NONE of this stuff is worth arguing about. Come on now, lets all play nice.

By the way you have it drawn, it is seemingly impossible to adjust height after the pads are on. It would be stupid of you to not anticipate that things need to be adjusted. Perhaps its in the view we have, or a section view we could've seen how you had the corner height adjusters working. As it is currently shown, once you put the pads on, you can no longer adjust height. (Source: am Industrial Engineer, and drafting paid me through my first 2 years of college)

Either way it seems to me that SoCo was just pointing out a potential design annoyance/problem. Not a negative comment per say. You can't post something like this and not expect somebody to point out how they would do it differently. That's part of it, it wouldn't be any fun if everybody said "This is the best thing Ive ever seen".

Your sig doesn't really say anything other than that you are super confident in what you say. Which is cool, nothing wrong with that, but none, and I mean NONE of this stuff is worth arguing about. Come on now, lets all play nice.
Actually, I think my sig. is more a statement of my willingness to "discuss" what I say. That was my intention, you may have a different interpretation.
Do you agree with my statement about "theory"?
Thank you for your comments, very interesting.

Actually, I think my sig. is more a statement of my willingness to "discuss" what I say. That was my intention, you may have a different interpretation.
Do you agree with my statement about "theory"?
Thank you for your comments, very interesting.
I do agree with letting data determine your theory. Data doesn't lie, unless you want it to haha

By the way, I am now doing close-up drawings and dimensioning. I know it's troubling to some when you leave out details, I understand, still, initial drawings can sometimes be a little rough, leaving out details that might be important to others. Read my sig. Explain to me how you would do it! Question my design details.

Now how many scale pads on the market have holes through them? I know our longacre scales dont.
A good point! I hadn't planned on doing any leveling with the scales on the pads. Are scales different heights?
If the scales are different heights, how much trouble would it be to move one out of the way to make a slight adjustment in height? My thought was that having the height adjustment directly under the wheel, as close as possible, would be a good idea.

It's my contention, when ever I'm having a discussion with somebody, the first one to start belittling the other, it's probably losing the argument. No proof, just a contention. I know when I argued with my wife, I knew when I had won when she said "well y
I remember the last time you etc. etc."

The scale pads will have holes in them. You adjust the height with an Allen wrench. A threaded rod is in the tube welded to the frame. The threaded rod will turn independent of the base. I haven't really come up with the final solution to that.
This frame will adjust to the widest Sprint kart and the narrowest LTO and the longest road race kart. The width on the front is adjustable, notice the 2 colors of the crossmember there. There's a bar inside those 2 square tubes. The side rails pivot and the crossbar in the rear expands. That rear bar is in 3 pieces, two 1 inch bars fit inside that 1 1/2 inch tube. They mount and swivel on both ends.
The rear pads, along with the side rails, which pivot off the front crossbar, are adjustable to accommodate different wheel bases and widths.
I figure it would take no more than one half hour to assemble or disassemble everything. The adjustable leveling pads would remain attached to the sidebars. The crossbars and tire pads are easy to assemble or disassemble. Leveling everything, while very easy, might take some time. Of course to accomplish this he would need a 4 foot level.
I don't think I want to build this, but I would be willing to sell the plans, all dimensioned, for $50. I'm right now in the process of producing JPEG files. Everything on one CD disc.
I'm working on the dimensioning still.
Your design has a few flaws. 1- your outter tube is 1 1/2 inch square and the inner is 1 inch. Thats too much of a difference. Whats going to keep it bowing in the middle. Just a pin or bolt wont do. It needs to be a tighter fit.
2- you level your scale stand with the scales in place. The height adjuster needs to be on the outside.
3 just to many moving parts, karters want to keep things simple as possible.
Alvin, Im not an engineer, but over 30 plus years of fabrication experience, I believe Im correct.
Like Ive told a bunch of engineers, just because you put it on paper doesn't men it will work.

I tell you once scale pads are installed you cant adjust height, you say not true at all and that it would be stupid of you not to anticipate that.
Then in same thread, another post you say this:

"A good point! I hadn't planned on doing any leveling with the scales on the pads. Are scales different heights?
If the scales are different heights, how much trouble would it be to move one out of the way to make a slight adjustment in height? My thought was that having the height adjustment directly under the wheel, as close as possible, would be a good idea. "

Thats the same exact thing i said, once installed theres no way to level. Maybe you thought it stupid of me to realize YOU made a mistake, who knows.

For your approval; updated design. Listening to your concerns I took a long and hard look at the leveling pads. This is the new design. The plate with the handle on it is attached to the threaded bar. The threaded bar goes through the tube and the tube is welded to the frame. The threaded bar goes through the base which has a bearing which allows for some alignment. There's a nut on the bottom underneath. Tell me if this alleviate your concerns?
Untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-13.jpg

A few more details. The adjusting handle is pinned to the machined part of the threaded rod. There's a bearing in the yellow part of the stand. Obviously, turning the adjuster handle raises and lowers the scales for leveling.

Untitled-14.jpg

Back