Mychron 4 VS Mychron 5

I don't think anyone can answer this question yet. The 5's haven't been released yet but I have to say they do seen a little over kill for dirt oval.

5 is a little over kill for dirt racing

X3

If you really plan on bringing your laptop to the track and downloading all of the info and using the GPS you will get your money out of it. If you really just need to check Max Temp, Max RPM, Clutch Slip and Lap time then go with the 4 or even a used 3.

The big 2 cycle sprint teams will get a lot out of it, but for your local shows its like bringing a bazooka to go squirrel hunting.

I don't see why the 5 is overkill "for dirt". The 4 had all the same features except the GPS is not standard for the 4. The laptop downloads are no different and the software for analysis is the same as all aim car and kart loggers. The 5 doesn't need a download key like the 4 but it's still the same stuff. If you need a logger with download to laptop I wouldn't even buy a 4 or the 5. I would go with the AEM AQ-1. Heaps more flexible and more capabilities and input channels for the same price. I like the aem software better too. Fwiw, the 5 is about 550-600 on eBay stores.

That fancy #5 with GPS is not going to win me any races on a dirt track, and besides you can download a 3 if you want too.

Back