Mychron RPM pick-up

jjchat

With a fairly fresh battery (just changed and reading around 9 volts), I am getting some inaccurate RPM readings under race conditions. In particular, I am getting inaccurate low / apex rpm while on the track and am seeing RPM spikes through most of my acceleration curve.

I examined my clutch which did not show excessive wear patterns (rebuilding anyway) and my lap times were not far off of my competitors so it makes me think it is a reading issue not a mechanical issue.

I am curious as to if others have come up with some solutions.

Hatch

Do you wrap the lead around the spark plug wire or hook to the "shut off" wire going to the coil? Both work. Seen spark plug wire contact cause more issues. May need to secure it better. Dont run the wire for the tach with or next to any other wires. If its zip tied to the frama any where, it can cause problems.May be able to run it in some super small loom or small fuel line to give it a little more shielding. Good luck

I wasnt aware that u could connect to the kill wire ? can you please explain in which way? thanks

The wire that is used to "wrap" the plug wire is simply hooked directly to the "kill" wire. You can still run the wire to a kill switch to cut the engine. The tach lead is simply spliced into it.. Ive always done it this way. I always use a quick connect type male/female plug to aid in engine removal anyway. Be sure and contact Mychron if you have any questions about thier stuff. Super nice, super helpful.

The wire that is used to "wrap" the plug wire is simply hooked directly to the "kill" wire. You can still run the wire to a kill switch to cut the engine. The tach lead is simply spliced into it.. Ive always done it this way. I always use a quick connect type male/female plug to aid in engine removal anyway. Be sure and contact Mychron if you have any questions about thier stuff. Super nice, super helpful.
DITTO....Best and proven method!!

We've had some similar issues with the Mychron on World Formula motors using a long tach wire. Our solution was to run the wire through some old fuel line. I'm not sure why, but it worked.

Back