NASCAR Adapts F1 style Qualifying for all 3 Series

112racing

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — NASCAR has announced a new revamped format for qualifying for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series.

In some ways, the new format emulates the “knock-out” qualifying procedures already utilized by the IndyCar Series and Formula One World Driving Championship.

At tracks measuring 1.25 miles in length or larger, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of three rounds:

· The first qualifying elimination round will be 25 minutes in duration and includes all cars / trucks. The 24 cars / trucks that post the fastest single lap from the first qualifying round will advance to the second round.

· The remaining cars / trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.

· The second qualifying elimination round will be 10 minutes in duration and the 12 cars / trucks that post the fastest single lap time will advance to the third and final round. The fastest remaining cars / trucks earn positions 13th through 24th based on their times posted in qualifying in descending order.

· The third and final qualifying round will be five minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time will determine positions one through 12 in descending order.

· There will be a five-minute break between each qualifying round.

At tracks measuring less than 1.25 miles, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of two rounds:

· The first qualifying elimination round will be 30 minutes in duration and includes all cars / trucks. The 12 cars / trucks that post the fastest single lap time from the first qualifying round will advance to the second and final round.

· The remaining cars / trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.

· There will be a 10-minute break between the two qualifying rounds.

· The second and final qualifying round will be 10 minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time posted will determine positions one through 12 in descending order.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.c...ar/nascar-adapts-knock-out-qualifying-format/

I think it will take qualifying from being a boring affair that is subject to the weather and the luck of the draw on qualifying order and make it into a really exciting session that at most tracks will take less time than the ordinary qualifying session. If I'm reading this correctly and tires can't be changed between sessions then the fastest laps might be set in the first session. If tires can be changed between sessions then that changes the game and makes qualifying more expensive, but the increase in TV viewers might offset the cost through sponsor revenue. At many tracks the tires fall off after about 3 laps. I think the Talladega and July Daytona qualifying sessions are going to be crazy!

I take it cars will still be impounded after qualifying. - that is your qualifying setup is how you start the race.
F1, I believe, also says whatever you qualify with for fuel in the vehicle is what you start the race with. Was that addresses?
I also was listening to Dave Moody yesterday on the radio. - something about a 1-tire rule? what's the story with that?

I haven't heard the 1-tire rule or the impound or fuel situation. Nascar relased a FAQ sheet that Jayski had a link to yesterday. It didn't answer those questions.

Does it mean there will be more then one car out there during qualifying? Will it mean cars can hook up together for a faster combined speed. If so, it would give multiple car teams another advantage further pushing out the little guy. Is it "Roller Ball" everyone ! Root for your favorite Corporation ! God forbid you root for an individual over the bill paying organizations.

"The king is dead, long live the King!"

It's going to all about hooking up with somebody and drafting on the longer tracks. Yes that could be a problem for the single car small teams. Another interesting thing will be how long is it gonna take till somebody slows intentionaly messing up somebody elses lap? In F1 you get grid spot penalties and fines for hampering an opponents lap. Lets see how Nascar handles that one cause you know it's going to happen.

So say for instance Jimmie Johnson wrecks Kurt Busch at a race. What happens now if Kurt retaliates in qualifying at say Bristol? Wouldn't that be perfect.

imo its just qualifying why make it a spectical the ones who watch nascar every weekend want to watch the race more than anything

I agree with cox8228 seems like since Dale Sr died its been all down hill lost all its tradition true race fans liked I am Ford guy but not sure how much pull or say he had but miss how it used to be. we would to a few races a year and watched the rest on tv I have not watched more than a couple of race a year that is if happen to turn it on and its close to the end nothing but a circus

This may be interesting. Consider this loophole the impound rule: - this all assumes you can wrench on a car during these qualifying sessions.
A car has a very aggressive "qualifying set-up". That car makes it the third 'top-12' session and is happy with 12th. Instead of participating in the 3rd session, they change the setup back to race setup.

Back