NASCAR question

nogoats

While watching the teams change tires, all the new tires have a piece of bright tape going around the rim and tire. What is the purpose of the tape?

The last tape mark that I’m going to explain is shown in this picture. You’ll see a small stripe of orange tape in between 12 and 1 o’clock on the tire itself. This piece of tape will line up exactly to a specific stud hole on the wheel. These marks, which you will see on all four tires, are used by the tire carriers. The carriers use these marks to know where to grab the wheel in order to hang it correctly on the studs. The good tire carriers can pick a tire up and hang it on the studs without having to spin it to line the holes up correctly. These tape marks help them find the right way to hold the tire to do so.

"ok" obviously the stripe is a locator.
so if the stud is not at the 12 o clock position the tire is not lined up correctly.
does the tire changer roll the tire to the 12 o clock position ?
all happens pretty fast for sure.

They also paint a strip on the hub of the car going to each stud so basically all they have to do is line up the tape with one of the paint strips

I was in the pits earlier this year at the Texas race. A Goodyear rep was giving a tour to some VIPS that I was not a member of. Out of the blue, he asked me if I knew why they put the tape on the wheels. I told him it was to help INDEX the wheel to the studs. I guess this person had no idea what the term INDEX meant. He told me I was incorrect, the tape was there to help the tire man align the wheel to the studs.

karter 25. If this guy is an engineer, you should have said " indexable." in mechanical term when you mark something to align, it is "Indexable".........I'am not sure pal. just a wild guess ..........hope i am right..............
ig. the tape is to make the hole indexable...............

Nogoats I took this at the shop today, it is on an ARCA car but basically the same from Late Models to NASCAR well darn can't share from my computer, if you would like to see it give me your email Picture of the tire and hub

Some shots I found on the Internet of the marked tires:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brraveheart/8732213625/?ytcheck=1

And Brad Keselowski's, but without the nuts glued:

https://pixabay.com/en/nascar-brad-keslowski-tires-racing-332136/

And I found this shot of the marked wheel hub, or really axle end, so you can see how they draw lines. This one doesn't have the marked wheel, anymore, but you get the point. See the pink lines.

http://www.kasdorf.name/wordpress/wp-images/fullsize/MIS/MIS GFS Wheel Lugs 01.jpg

karter 25. If this guy is an engineer, you should have said " indexable." in mechanical term when you mark something to align, it is "Indexable".........I'am not sure pal. just a wild guess ..........hope i am right..............
ig. the tape is to make the hole indexable...............

I am no engineer, but I knew the answer. If he didn't understand my answer, he isn't much of an engineer.

I am no engineer, but I knew the answer. If he didn't understand my answer, he isn't much of an engineer.

You right pal. he maybe just one of those high paying doing noting guy..........Lots of them out there............

Back