NC karting newbie

benjamin88

Hey everyone just wanted to sign up after lurking on and off a few months now. Just a quick intro I'm 27, always wanted to race something since I was a kid. I'm finally at a good point in life with job and house to pursue it. My father in law and I keep joking about racing dirt car, legends, or u cars, but karts seemed like a good starting point without spending a fortune like a full race car.I used to go watch karts in Coleridge when I was a teen living in ramseur dreaming of the day I could afford to race.

We live in Archdale NC area so I know Coleridge Liberty and Woodleaf are the closest tracks. Also considering the outlaw karts that millbridge runs. Still weighing our options on which would be the most fun but cost effective as well. Still doing all my research and hoping to find a kart or two after Christmas that someone might be selling out that's almost ready to race.

So again hi everyone and hope to meet some of the locals some time soon. I'll try to use the search as much as possible before asking repetitive questions.

Welcome to Bob's.
You should be able to find a race ready kart within your budget in the classified section of this forum or maybe at your local track. I have a 2013 Redemption, race ready with everything you'll need. I also have a kart stand, tire roller and maybe some other things that for someone just getting started would may need.

Can't make it this weekend but keeping an eye on the schedule and plan to make some other races the next few weeks.

For the most bang for your buck, go to your local track, find the class that gets the highest kart count on a regular basis and run that class. It stinks to put all that money out to run against 1 or 2 people every week. Karts are pretty cheap this time of year so you should be able to get a good deal. I have a Sr Champ roller for $500.00 for sale so all you would have to do is add your motor and clutch and go racing. Most "race ready" karts will need the motor and clutch rebuilt if you want to be competitive anyway.

That's what I've been thinking is get a roller a tach and buy new motor, clutch, and tires. It looks like the most classes around here run clones akra rules and just the different weights. Leaning more towsrds flat kart instead of champs.

Still researching and a little confused on the whole box stock project clones and mods allowed. They don't seem to have a governor but they are box stock? Guess I need to invest in a rule book at some point.

P
That's what I've been thinking is get a roller a tach and buy new motor, clutch, and tires. It looks like the most classes around here run clones akra rules and just the different weights. Leaning more towsrds flat kart instead of champs.

Still researching and a little confused on the whole box stock project clones and mods allowed. They don't seem to have a governor but they are box stock? Guess I need to invest in a rule book at some point.
Once you know what class you want to run, you'll tell your engine builder when you buy your new engine. He will know the rules also. But it still wouldn't hurt to get a rule book for yourself.

Sounds good thank you. I may buy the first one or two but after that I planned on doing all my own work and builds besides any machining required or the motors have to be sealed.

If they have LO206, they are sealed. Low maintenance costs and last for several seasons with no work involved other than oil changes to keep it going. New, in the box factory blue printed one is around $550 shipped to your door. And they run on pump gas putting out around 8.3 HP.

Back