Need a motor builder

ftgokie

My 13yr old son will be racing 2 classes next year and I am looking at sponsoring a couple more people for next year as well. I have never sponsored anyone as far as racing goes so this will all be trial and error. So I am looking at buying 10 motors, and I am figuring 1 motor on each kart and 3 motors as spares. We will be racing locally (Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas) and maybe once a month head out east to do some racing.

So I am shopping around for a motor builder. I have contacted a couple of builders to get prices on some motors but then I heard from a few people that has made me re think going with a big name builder. Maybe I did not hear them correctly but I want your guys opinions.

I have heard a few bigger named builders get as many out the door as fast as they can and do not have very good customer service. I am looking for someone who will pay attention to detail and give me the best motor that they can put out. I just want to spend my money wisely and get some motors from a builder that takes pride in their work and will give me the most bang for my $$$ and in buying these motors, I figure that should include top notch customer service/support as well.

I am not trying to bash any builder at all, I have honestly only heard of 1 builder that I should stay away from but the rest I have really heard nothing but good things about.

As of right now we have a Jody Pierce, Total Concept Racing Engines, Box Stock Project, Dover and Todd Miller clones in the shop and to be honest, I would not hesitate to put any of our motors on to race.

If you were going to buy 10 motors outright to start off with and have the best customer support available, who would you go with?

I race with my 11 year old as well, we have been karting for a couple of years, Sounds like we race in a similar loop excluding OK and Texas. We started with a big name out east, then went to a more local builder, then we got hooked up with Chad Waller with Waller Racing. The performance was there with all the other builders, but like you I was looking for customer service. I cant say enough about Chad's customer service and think his record on performance speaks for itself her in the Midwest and beyond. Chad is also at many of the races here in the Midwest and always willing to help,just not on motors, but tires etc. Waller Racing 319-478-2773

Mark Smyser

chad does our engines as well and never down on power. Knows the whole racing agenda .
tires and chassis, always good advice.
!0 engines is a big investment. racing 7 with 3 spare should be good.
Big job you are undertaking best of luck.

My 13yr old son will be racing 2 classes next year and I am looking at sponsoring a couple more people for next year as well. I have never sponsored anyone as far as racing goes so this will all be trial and error. So I am looking at buying 10 motors, and I am figuring 1 motor on each kart and 3 motors as spares. We will be racing locally (Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas) and maybe once a month head out east to do some racing.

So I am shopping around for a motor builder. I have contacted a couple of builders to get prices on some motors but then I heard from a few people that has made me re think going with a big name builder. Maybe I did not hear them correctly but I want your guys opinions.

I have heard a few bigger named builders get as many out the door as fast as they can and do not have very good customer service. I am looking for someone who will pay attention to detail and give me the best motor that they can put out. I just want to spend my money wisely and get some motors from a builder that takes pride in their work and will give me the most bang for my $$$ and in buying these motors, I figure that should include top notch customer service/support as well.

I am not trying to bash any builder at all, I have honestly only heard of 1 builder that I should stay away from but the rest I have really heard nothing but good things about.

As of right now we have a Jody Pierce, Total Concept Racing Engines, Box Stock Project, Dover and Todd Miller clones in the shop and to be honest, I would not hesitate to put any of our motors on to race.

If you were going to buy 10 motors outright to start off with and have the best customer support available, who would you go with?

you have pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am just sitting back monitoring this thread and also reading the messages I am getting on different motor builders. I am going to contact a few builders in upcoming weeks to see who is going to be the best fit for our program.

Please keep the comments coming

This is the best way, talk to them in person. Just cause a program that fits one person, may not work well for you. Also, that amount of motors, maybe some builder will work with you. Good luck in your racing program, looks like your going to have your hands full

This is the best way, talk to them in person. Just cause a program that fits one person, may not work well for you. Also, that amount of motors, maybe some builder will work with you. Good luck in your racing program, looks like your going to have your hands full

lol...yea, I will say so. Me and the wife talked it over and we were just going to support our son, but we are enjoying this so much we want to support a couple of other drivers as well. We are buying my son 2 new Slack karts and the other drivers I will probably buy 2012 or 2013 Slacks as well...or whatever they feel more comfortable driving.

We are just having fun watching our son race and honestly not in it for the money, its just pure enjoyment for us. But we are wanting to hit up as many bigger races next year so we can get some experience. I just wish we would have gotten into this a lot sooner!

Appco Karting Hands down, AR Gardner has been in the sport for many many years and has great motors and service! Call him up! 513.539.9900

I live in Mississippi. I have become good friends with Hunter Curtis who owns Hunter Curtis performance out of Mooresville,NC. He is one of the best guys in the business right now. Hunter is a young man that has his heart into racing and his customers. I have yet to call him and he not answer and talk to me like we have know eachother all our lives. He is building some awesome power right now. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a call and talk to him about your program. 980-521-0564.

Barnes Power Plants in Assumption IL. Great people, and they build good horsepower.

I have talked with Barnes and honestly liked what I heard from them. I am just weighing all my options and going with who fits our needs the best...nobody is ruled out as of right now

Larry Tracy in Springfield Mo., would be a good fit for you. Close, races your area, builds fast motors, affordable, great guy, and is a Slack dealer, all in one. You should at least talk to him!

Back