need carb help

bandit2026

Got a flathead in a trade that will be run at a backyard track. Motor was a methanol but I want to run gas as its much easier to find. I put a smaller jet in and it cranks ok and idles but when I open the throttle it pops and cracks then catches and opens up. Whats do i need to do?

Go all the way down to a stock jet , which is right at .036 and set about a turn out, whatever it takes on the needle setting, a small adjustment will make a big difference. Like Josh said back that ignition timing way up to a stock straight key. Once carb is drilled for alky it won't be perfect for gas but should work OK. Jon

Go all the way down to a stock jet , which is right at .036 and set about a turn out, whatever it takes on the needle setting, a small adjustment will make a big difference. Like Josh said back that ignition timing way up to a stock straight key. Once carb is drilled for alky it won't be perfect for gas but should work OK. Jon

This, if its made for meth, its been bored and the metering holes behind the jet have been enlarged to supply more fuel, going down to the smallest jet will help some, but for gas find an untouched carb

Back