Need disk clutch help.

Localkarter731

We have been running a inferno clutch (drum). We are gong to a disk. Not sure either cheetah or bulley. But my q is two fold I read that the cheetah is built to kick in at 4k rpm an I am gonna be using on my son kart running jr1 class he wghs 100lbs even. We have to wgh 285 kart an all for the races. At what rpm does he need to me engaging and what are your thoughts on the cheetah an can I adjust them. If so how.

Thanks.

The Cheetah is adjustable as is the Bulley and should be set at your peak torque, which will be in the 3400rpm +/- range for JR1.
The Cheetah is adjusted by spring and spring height and weight on clutch cams.
For 3500rpm -
3500 RPM Engagement Setting
By adding weights to the cams the engagement can be changed to 3500 rpm. The weights for a 3500 rpm engagement consist of six (6) #10 screws and six locking nuts. The amount of weight added is 10 grams per cam. Locking nuts must be used to ensure the weights do not come off during use.

Setup procedure is on the web.

Buy the bully! Don't waste your money on the cheetah. I have been there done that. My son's jr. Sportsman champ weights 300lbs with him in it. Had nothing by troubles with it. I bought the bully and his starts and lap times are improved. The bully tech support is great and they are easy to maintain.

Clutch engage should be at peak torque. WHen you say Jr 1, are we talking flathead, animal, clone, which rest. plate, pipe, etc?? We would need to know at least that to take a stab at where peak torque on your engine might be.
Yes, you can change the stall rpm of both brands.
However, I totally agree with fordman's answer. Buy the Bully and never look back. Much better designed and built clutch (in my opinion.)
I blueprint and rebuild clutches every day of the week and Bully clutches are without a doubt the better quality clutch to rebuild.
I do have fresh used Bullys available if you need and save you a few dollars over new if that helps.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Vortex set up at around 3400 engagement. very easy to maintain and set up. single disk for JR/Plate classes. double disk for Senior classes. Ive run horstman, bully, noram clutches, and Vortex in my opinion is far better, especially on restarts.
Matt

Back