Need help Setting the coil/timing correctly.

SKMS

Need some help. I put a new short block on my daughters lo206. When I installed the flywheel, I installed with the key way as close to aligned as I could. Think I’m good there.

What is an issue is the timing. How do I set it Correctly. I can’t seem to find a good video of
detailed instructions so I don’t fail tech. If I move the coil as far left is advanced. Correct? And as far right would retard the timing. Correct?

I set it as close as I could tell to center of the movement on the coil. She said it felt great and sounded good. Has that lope sound to it at idle. Lap times were improved as well over the motor that when I drained the oil the last time looked like never seize. That short block was toast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also what tools do I need to make certain that I don’t go past the allowable 26 degrees before top dead center? I think I actually set it up retarded a little. But again not sure.

With no hanky panky of the mounting holes or key you should be good .
Not knowing though would be a fail , if it was out of spec .
Its a relativly easy operation though daunting for a first time .
You would need a degree wheel , a pointer and a piston stop .
They also make a mounting adapter that could help with mounting the degree wheel . .

I did no mods or anything with the mounting holes or the key.
so the comp cam timing kit wheel with arbor and pointer with dead stop tool. Should do the trick? From Rix tech tools.

Thanks. When the tools arrive I’ll post any question I’m sure to have. I’d like to be able to repeat the set up and fine tune it. The driver and the motor liked it.

You should be just fine on timing legality....never hurts to check it to know exactly where you have it set though.
One other thing worth mentioning is that you want a minimum of .016" air gap between the flywheel and the coil legs.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks Brian. It seems to retard it some for each thousandths you gap it past.016.
You've evidently got a much more accurate way to check timing than I do then. :)
Theoretically, what you are saying is true.
When I get to .045" I can see a very slight difference, but I really don't like to open up the gap that much as it's hard(er) on the coil.

I will have an accurate way to tell when the tools show up. I was judging by the sound of the motor. No accuracy yet. I gapped the coil at.020. Motor has that nice cam lope sound.

I don't get too concerned with how an engine idles (only that it will idle.)
I am more concerned with power @ peak torque.
Since the timing is fixed with the PVL coil, it is easy to check timing with a light at any rpm above idle (>2200.) I suspect that very few people are doing this though.
We set timing with depth of the piston in the deck BTDC @ the firing point and corresponding degree on the work bench.
There's not much room to vary this within the L206 rules. Make certain that you are within the limits of legality.

Briggs recommend setting is 26 degrees before top dead center. What is the leeway within the wka rules?

Back