Need help with caster.

I just found an old 1990's Phantom spindle with the "C" on the spindle. It was made for using a top pill. I put a long bolt in a vice that fit the bottom hole in the spindle then measured the spindle "C" caster difference when rotating the spindle. I did it both directions with the spindle moved toward the rear and towards the front and could definitely see a difference. Should have done it also with camber gain measurements but that's even more of a pain.

Maybe I did not make myself 100% clear. Changing the pill on the spindle does not affect the kingpin caster but effectively moves the spindle forward or backward. This would create the same affect as changing the actual kingpin caster angle. I could be wrong so correct me if I am. It's a really abstract issue.
No thats correct .
The pill will adjust both .
Its intended use by manufacturer I don't know .
My Buller and Legend had them ,
I turned them wherever I wanted .

The problem is you can not control both independently .
Thus the use of another on the bottom .

Since your going to modify it , you might look into the sniper adjustment .

Another thing, when you open up the hole for the pill you have to have a washer on the other side so the inner race of your bearing doesn't go up in the hole. You don't want the bearing to seat on the pill either. Also caster pills like that put stress on your king pin because the head and nut don't seat square anymore.

For the adventurous, you can saw the barrels off the frame, weld on a plate, and do an "oval kart" front end conversion to Heim joints in oblong holes, allowing for completely independent adjustments. YMMV on whether it's legal at your local track, but since there's OEM people doing it now for sprints, I assume you'd be fine... Some places made kits for that in the past...
https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/changing-pill-front-end-to-heim-joint-front.35466/

Maybe I'm dating myself. lol. The only type of eccentric I've seen is the one that fits in the top of the U-shaped thingamajige. Sometimes that part is welded to the frame, sometimes to the spindle. The spindle itself can be welded to either a U-shaped bracket, or a tube, in which case the U-shaped bracket is welded to the frame and the spindle is welded to the tube.

You are definitely dating yourself. Many use "L" blocks now for easy adjustment of caster and hiem joints for camber adjustments. If there is a way to make a front end on a kart, someone is trying it.

Last edited:
True, but the bolt positions the spindle.
Caster is pretty much going to affect steering effort. I don't think it will do much for side bite.
Less caster, easier to turn. More caster, harder to turn.
True, but the bolt positions the spindle.
Caster is pretty much going to affect steering effort. I don't think it will do much for side bite.
Less caster, easier to turn. More caster, harder to turn.
I’m just going off of what he told me. He said caster will effect the jacking and side bite of the kart. So lowering it would help with using the lower hp motor.

I just found an old 1990's Phantom spindle with the "C" on the spindle. It was made for using a top pill. I put a long bolt in a vice that fit the bottom hole in the spindle then measured the spindle "C" caster difference when rotating the spindle. I did it both directions with the spindle moved toward the rear and towards the front and could definitely see a difference. Should have done it also with camber gain measurements but that's even more of a pain.
Awesome. I guess it’s worth a shot then. I’m going to use the sniper pills. then I’ll go see if I actually notice a difference on the track or not.

Heres a odd one .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190801-211527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190801-211527_Chrome.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 53
IIRC, the picture above is a somewhat ingenious way to convert an old style front to a variable camber front...The hole in that C is probably drilled out or slotted side-to-side on wheel centerline to allow for variable positioning... I wonder how well it worked...seems like it would introduce flex to the spindle...

IIRC, the picture above is a somewhat ingenious way to convert an old style front to a variable camber front...The hole in that C is probably drilled out or slotted side-to-side on wheel centerline to allow for variable positioning... I wonder how well it worked...seems like it would introduce flex to the spindle...
Slotted i belive you then used the pill for caster .
Post is in general section around april 19 , need help identifying chassis .
Post1 has pic link . fyi

The picture, couldn't you also change Castor with that set up in the picture. I've also been wondering, what would keep the manufacturer from offering spindles with different camber angles. Eliminate the camber adjustment part of the spindle hanger. Seems that most tracks pretty much have a close range of camber angles that are used on any given race day. I can't see as how it would be any more expensive than some people's collection of tires. lol. And it's pretty much a one time buy, unlike tires. I don't suppose it's much of an idea, or someone else would've already thought about it. lol

Back