Need help with engines

Dj09racer

We are getting back into karting and the last time we raced everyone ran a plated flat top. Now a days it’s predator, clone, animal.
My son in 9 and will be running in green plate by akra rules. I purchased a kart that had a sealed predator engine for rookie red. Well it turns out you cant run a predator in green at all the tracks around me if I’m not mistaken. Will I need to purchase a clone or what all do I need to do. I’m so confused over box stock, clone and everything in between now. Thanks

Last edited:
Would you happen to know the difference in box stock, and clone. We live in southern Ohio. And race at wheelersburge Ohio and Tyler mountain kart way in cross lanes Wv. The rules say box stock with a green plate. I’m assuming that would be a clone? We been to the track watching but I can’t get the tech guy free enough to talk. He’s pretty busy when we been there. Thanks

Would you happen to know the difference in box stock, and clone. We live in southern Ohio. And race at wheelersburge Ohio and Tyler mountain kart way in cross lanes Wv. The rules say box stock with a green plate. I’m assuming that would be a clone? We been to the track watching but I can’t get the tech guy free enough to talk. He’s pretty busy when we been there. Thanks
Box stock means just that. Stock out of the box. Buy, bolt, and go. Clone classes allow some work to be done to a extent. IE AKRA or NKA rules.

Box stock means just that. Stock out of the box. Buy, bolt, and go. Clone classes allow some work to be done to a extent. IE AKRA or NKA rules.
See that’s what I thought, but at the bottom of the class rules it says no predator engines in rookie classes. So I’m pretty confused.

See that’s what I thought, but at the bottom of the class rules it says no predator engines in rookie classes. So I’m pretty confused I thought the predator would be considered box stock

As stayed its not as cut and dried. ... Currently .
Box stock is typically a predator . Every thing else is clone .
The clone is the new flathead . Full blue print . Even in the rookie classes .
The fact it says no predator means clone .

As stated its not as cut and dried. ... Currently .
Box stock is typically a predator . Every thing else is clone .
The clone is the new flathead . Full blue print . Even in the rookie classes .
The fact it says no predator means clone .
I got ya. I appreciate it. Thank ya sir

Last edited by a moderator:
Burg and Mt use AKRA clones as well as at my track 2 Brothers Raceway . They go by the AKRA rules for clones ,and they are not box stock . Tech man at Burg is a certified AKRA tech . He can really help you out or you can message me here or PM me on 2 Brothers Raceway Facebook page . We race on Sundays and we are located between Chillicothe and Jackson , just off of Rte 35 .

Box Stock means clone, as the original supplier of clones was the Box Stock Project, who are still suppliers and the term box stock refers to that when clones first became the "go to motor".

Box stock has been skewed in so many directions in western KY, and middle TN. Some tracks box stock actually means truly box stock with the allowance of drilling a bigger vent hole in the gas cap. Some tracks allow you to run a regular kart fuel tank with fuel pump. Most have a max free revving rule of 5850, other tracks its a lower number but not the same lower number. Some tracks insist it surge when being checked, others don't. Some allow a weenie pipe exhaust. There are even open box stock tracks. Nobody learned a damned thing from the clone experience.

Box stock has been skewed in so many directions in western KY, and middle TN. Some tracks box stock actually means truly box stock with the allowance of drilling a bigger vent hole in the gas cap. Some tracks allow you to run a regular kart fuel tank with fuel pump. Most have a max free revving rule of 5850, other tracks its a lower number but not the same lower number. Some tracks insist it surge when being checked, others don't. Some allow a weenie pipe exhaust. There are even open box stock tracks. Nobody learned a damned thing from the clone experience.
And that is why i stick with my animal

Gone are the days of strong leadership in our sport.
Sanctioning bodies making rules and sticking by them, whether the manufacturer wants to or not.
There's always been "politics" in karting, but it's certainly not gotten any better over the years.
Independent tracks can hardly be blamed either. With no leadership at the top (ie standardized national rule sets for the Predator,) what can you expect? It'll be the wild west all over again (just as it was when the clone first came on the scene 15 years ago or so.)
By the time the head office figures it out, the Predator will be $1500 and another engine will have become it's new replacement.

OP, contact the local track's tech man. That will give you the best insight. GClary has told you correctly on the tracks that you are wanting to compete.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m very appreciative! So basically the only track we can run at is Willard it seems at this point until I can find a clone green plate for my son. Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m very appreciative! So basically the only track we can run at is Willard it seems at this point until I can find a clone green plate for my son. Thanks everyone
Tyler mountain kartway shows a green plate predator class in there class's that are posted on-line.....As has been suggested I would give then a call to confirm if they do have the class and are there any entry's in the class on a weekly bases.....They also show a green plate AKRA clone class....

Tyler mountain kartway shows a green plate predator class in there class's that are posted on-line.....As has been suggested I would give then a call to confirm if they do have the class and are there any entry's in the class on a weekly bases.....They also show a green plate AKRA clone class....

Hmm maybe they just added it, when we went and watched I didn’t see them run green predator. Thanks for the info I’ll double check and give them a call.

tyler mountain runs green plate predator and green plate clone. Willard runs green plate CLONE (not green plate predator) they do have a sealed class for the predator you have to buy the motor from them and there is no restrictor plate needed they do go by age groups! hope this info helps

Predator motors are 212cc. Clone motors are 196cc.
Stock, of course.
Which is why a predator is not a "clone".
But they both run a pressure washer just fine :)

At our track at the time, box stocks were essentially a BP clone... it varies everywhere.
Our fully legal "box stock" made 14.6 on s water dyno.

If I remember right, Horrible Freight got tired of guys buying clones and extended warranties and blowing them up and warranting them, and their solution was the 212 predator, as it was not a "clone" .. that was one story anyway

Then the kart guys followed them. Lol

2 Brothers Raceway will be running both Clone and Predator plate engines . Just as soon as I can open up the track , good help is hard to find , and it's hard trying to do everything myself .

Back