Need help with some tire info....new to tire game

Hello...new to tire game and looking for some help.. as I have a prep like..just crash course type tire for wet or dry track... how many use duro for deciding soft vs hard and when to use those types of tire...thank you

Hello...new to tire game and looking for some help.. as I have a prep like..just crash course type tire for wet or dry track... how many use duro for deciding soft vs hard and when to use those types of tire...thank you
You need to pick up Todd Godwins book " Chemical Attraction" on tires and tire prepping. Its the standard of many.

You don't use the duro for deciding soft VS hard to use, the duro is to confirm which tires are soft VS hard.

Last edited:
Contact any of the Prep guys on here Matt At Palmetto speed shop, I use a lot of his stuff, Track tack I use some of their stuff, southern comfort Use some of their stuff also. Been racing a long time., There are more but these come to mind. talk to them. They will help you out. I believe that all three of these will prep tires and send them to you ready to race, It you want them to.
Reason that I say that, is simple Ask 10 racers the best products and procedures, And you will get fifteen different responses.
Each track is different and tires are different.

Contact any of the Prep guys on here Matt At Palmetto speed shop, I use a lot of his stuff, Track tack I use some of their stuff, southern comfort Use some of their stuff also. Been racing a long time., There are more but these come to mind. talk to them. They will help you out. I believe that all three of these will prep tires and send them to you ready to race, It you want them to.
Reason that I say that, is simple Ask 10 racers the best products and procedures, And you will get fifteen different responses.
Each track is different and tires are different.

Matt is excellent, very knowledgeable and takes time for you.

What track and area you race goes a long way in getting tire help here. Also tire brand/type. What's needed for a Burris in midwest is not the same for a maxxis in the south east. A lot of the same prep/chemicals, but how they are used changes.

Northwest Ohio...1/8 and 1/10 low bite tracks... Burris 33 only.. can't change right sides after first heat tire rule.. I have thick thick tires...soft to hard duro ratting high 50s to high 60s

not being able too change tires and thick tires , is problematic in that you can get over saturated with prep.
I like krug and cornerspeed 2, if you can find it.

Also what prep are you currently using? Im pretty sure i already know myself ? but others dont and would be good info to list so they can point you in a direction.

Also depends on the date codes you have - it does make a difference.
Newer date codes, intermediate cut, 060-080," lots of base prep for bite.
Older date codes, full round (high crown) cut, Lots of base prep for bite and softener to get the duro down around 50.
That will get you in the ballpark.
Work a couple of sets differently and watch your stop watch (or Mychron) for lap times. Keep working in the direction that is faster - not much differently than you would with gearing.
Now, as the track changes, one cut/profile and amount of bite will be different from what was needed earlier on. Typically tracks get cleaner and faster. They'll get slicked over and hard so you can go to a harder tire with less bite for the feature. You'll still need something to fire the tires off with though -- Monster Bite works great for that.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back