need help

porter15

I have a 2000 Kato kart its a copy of offset margay style and my son is racing in the clone lean class and the kart doesn't like the extra weight it has a push through the center. We've had this kart for years and its always been fine up until we had to add the extra weight. Run right around 53% cross 46 front 54 rear and 51 left side maxxis tires Heats and Feature Arlington: http://youtu.be/hfm1GGykdHA

"Right around"? Never heard that before. lol
that margay sure takes different setup numbers than a lot of karts around here.

I can't help with what is right, but I can point out a few things were your kart is a lot different than most.

The LF is lighter than the RR. (I've never seen that on a flat kart) The LR is almost the same as the RR. (I've never seen them that close on an LTO) The LF is heavier than the RF. (I've only seen that on champ karts)

not saying it's wrong, just different. (Thank you Willy)

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

53% cross 46% front 54% rear and 51% left side and I don't have the numbers per tire weight just percentages.

I don't know where you got that the LF is lighter then the RR and that the LR is almost the same as the RR

and the right around is from adjusting tire pressures at the track but its always RIGHT AROUND 53% cross when set on the scales its been as low as 52.4 and as high as 53.7

53% cross 46% front 54% rear and 51% left side and I don't have the numbers per tire weight just percentages.

I don't know where you got that the LF is lighter then the RR and that the LR is almost the same as the RR

and the right around is from adjusting tire pressures at the track but its always RIGHT AROUND 53% cross when set on the scales its been as low as 52.4 and as high as 53.7
I have a corner weights spreadsheet. Now I'm not saying it's infallible, but I've never seen it make a mistake yet. Still, there's always a chance of a mistake.
360 pounds car and driver. (Selected arbitrarily because you didn't list the total)
Front 46%
LEFT 51%
Cross 53%
LF 79.2 RF 86.4
LR 104.4 RR 90
percentage difference between LR and RR 16.0%. The LF is lighter than the RR.

if these numbers are not right, I certainly would like to know.

your not transferring weight off the left rear, raise the weight up. with a light driver this happens. unless the kart is being bound up by the weight it should be close

thanks but there is no way to move the weight up. We were thinking the weight is just to much for the kart turns like a dream without the extra weight I read something about moving the rr tire out a little and lower the lf spindle. Do you think that would work?

326 kart and driver
LF 71.72 RF 78.24
LR 94.54 RR 81.5 (only 16 percent difference)
when you say, "added weight" how much are we talking about?

I can remember when I went from 330 reed heavy to reed open at 290, it felt like a whole different kart.

I doubt that the change in weight is, "too much" for the kart. It's just going to require some adjustment in your percentages. Most karts are designed for a total weight of, (and this is only a guess) about 380 pounds. Somewhere in that area. I'm going to guess that all testing on a new kart design was done with weight somewhere in that area. And even after all that, a kart with thicker, or bigger, tubing might be better, but the setups going to change a lot.

Tell me what weights you came from and I'll plug that into the spreadsheet. Where did you put the extra weight? If you put the extra weight on the seat, I'm wondering how the percentages could stay the same.

When you say you can't move the weight up, what are we talking about? I think that the poster that said move the weight up, meant vertically. If you added weight to make the 326, where did you put it?

Don't mean to get too complicated on this, but sometimes it's complicated.

went from 256 to 326 and the weight is on the floor pan not the seat we also race cars so had large chunks of lead and yes its complicated but I appreciate the help

The video looks like you are loose out of the turns. I saw a steering turn to the right out of almost every turn.
I didn't see what I could definitely say was a push anywhere.
How far are your rear wheels off the frame ?
And there has to be some way to move some of your weight up to
increase your VCG, while still holding your % and not screwing up the handling.

went from 256 to 326 and the weight is on the floor pan not the seat we also race cars so had large chunks of lead and yes its complicated but I appreciate the help
hard for me to understand how the percentages could be the same with that big a change in weight. And the fact that you put the extra weight on the floor pan makes it even harder! Maybe it's time for another trip to the scales?

Get the lead out of the floor pan. You dont want big chunks, you want small ones spread out on the seat... Not enough left side weight, and your vertical center of gravity is too low for a kid. When you went up darn near 75 pounds, the setup has to change. You need to get on the scales, and get it to 55 left. If you take a perfectly square kart, with perfect balance, the same size tires, and just add weight to the left side. Dead in the center... It will naturally start turning left. Your kart is tight on entry. And with all the steering wheel input, it is snapping loose at the apex, and on exit. Entry affects exit. Fix the entry, and alot of times, your exit problem will dissappear... Your kart is lazy, because your not transferring weight, and adding weight to the floor pan is almost a complete no no... You need to re scale, and mount your lead on the seat evenly.. Get it to 55 left, and leave your other numbers the same... Dont say you cant mount it all on the seat, beacuse ive hung 100 pounds on a seat for kids more than once... 5-7 lb chunks is key...

Back