Need some advice

racer_48

I'm new to karting, just about to get my first. I will be racing the LO206 in Champs. Would you all recommend getting a new engine or do you think used would be a good way to start? Money isn't a concern.

I'm new to karting, just about to get my first. I will be racing the LO206 in Champs. Would you all recommend getting a new engine or do you think used would be a good way to start? Money isn't a concern.
IF you can find one about a year or two that has been kept up really good. It will be a little faster. It takes a year just to break one of these engine in. Or maybe find some one that tried and quit first year. Happens a lot with kids. Since these engines last so long, a used one is not drastically cheaper than new one. Unless it is really used. Just make sure it has the right seals on the engine.
Other than that New is always good. But plan on running as many races and laps as possible. That will get you seat time and break the engine in.

If you do find a used one that's not "used and abused," then be sure to know for certain what oil the previous owner used in it. There is an issue with some oils not mixing (compatible with one another) and causing catastrophic damage.
Of course you can't go wrong with a new engine -- you know what you are getting and the complete history of the engine (ie no stripped threads, warped head, loose valve guides, illegal parts, etc.)
A complete rebuild on the LO206 through our shop is around $135 (parts AND labor.) That might be worth something just as peace of mind to knowing what you bought. For add'l. $85 (incl. fuel and oil) we will tune your engine on the dyno.

If there's anything that we can help you with, please feel free to give us a call at the shop number below.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Go with new !
By the time the driver / setup man get enough experience. The engine will be ready also .

I want to add another question I have to this . ..
If I buy a new motor, should it come with everything I need to start racing, or will I have to find additional parts?

New engine is just that , additional equipment is needed .
Jimbo's packages are in his post above .
Brian may have similar options , as would other shops .

When you purchase a brand new engine only, you will need:
Exhaust header kit with muffler - $80
SS muffler clamp - $6
Header wrap sleeve(1 ft) - $3.50
Copper exhaust gasket - $6
Header bolt kit - $2.50
Green air filter - $25
Chain guard - $25
Clutch - $100-120
This is assuming you have none of the above from a previous L206 engine. You may also need throttle cable mount of some sort. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here's what's included in our race-ready LO206 engine package @Carlson Motorsports.
What you see is what you get:

6.jpeg

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you don't have the additional parts to make it complete the only reason that i can see that you would not get them with the new engine is if you have another engine to take them off of.
However, if they are tired parts you might want to get new parts with the new engine.
It's entirely up to you but something else to consider is if you want a professional to set up the carb, adjust the valves, install the pulse fitting, put the fuel lines on, wrap the pipe, assembly the clutch and maybe even do an initial break in and test it on the dyno.

Have you ever set up one of these carbs? Do you know how to adjust valves, Do you know if you need to install the clutch inboard or outboard?
Do you know what size sprocket you need on the clutch? Do you know if you are going to use #35 or #219 pitch chain? Is this going to be used for dirt oval or Asphalt sprint racing? Does your kart require a throttle linkage kit or not? Do you know what oil and how much you should put in the engine?
A good dealer will help you with all of this and more so you get off to a good and painless (as possible) start.

Last edited:
Back