Need thought's and Ideas for introducing a youth program of support .

racing promotor

For years now we've offered tires and support for someone wanting to try some of the bigger events but hold back because of feeling overwhelmed or simply don't have tire inventory required. Were looking to Expand on that where there is a set program in place.
right now i'm thinking treat it like a Big brother Big sister type deal where teams that are all in can take them under there wings and support them.
Parents will sign them up with a form where they would answer some basic questions confirming the level of support needed, people gracious enough to offer the support would also be signed up with what level of support they can offer. Then if there is no connection already between anyone, we have info to decide whom best to pair them up with.
HELP ideas how to expand this concept and really make a difference, need to hear from both sides the ones that could see themselves needing the support, and the ones that could see themselves offering the support.
Plus anyone else feel free to chime in.

One of the bad things about this spot is new guys go in the wrong directions It would be great if new people would get a mentor and listen to them not every every body . Next thing you they spent a ton of money still run in the back and quit. I also have help many new guys with tires and all the help I can. If new blood kids and adults don't come in this sport will die. Promotors and track owners must think out of the box to get new blood. I saw Last week a track here had a booth at a car show. There's a gun show a home show there are so many out there that don't have any idea about kart racing .

Personally, I would love to take someone under my wing. Been hoping to find a kid who was a good student in school, maybe not have a ton of support at home to be able to do things, is curious and eager to learn, to put in a kart. Helping and or advising a team that needs it would be rewarding in the same sense.

I like what you're trying to do. I think the growth opportunities are at regular events. I put together a karting clinic at the local track last season. My plan was to speak on 6 subjects (safety, maintenance, tires, tools, chassis adjustments, and general tips) for about 10 minutes each with a Q&A at the end. I was surprised to spend the 1st 20 minutes talking about the meaning of each flag, hand signals, and track etiquette. It was a good interactive conversation that most people in attendance didn't have anyone to talk to about it. We held the event 1/2 way through the season on a Friday evening which may have been tough for some people to attend. Several people asked to have some track time and work with JR drivers on line ups for our next clinic. A local shop donated 10 quarts of prep to give away and the track prepared some food for all in attendance. We're most likely going to hold our next event on a Sunday afternoon and try to set up a few stations. We talked about doing a buddy race a couple times a year. This would pair a JR or novice driver with an adult or veteran driver. The intent is for the team to pit together and help each other through the night.

I have thought about finding a group of kids, maybe Scouts?, and offering them free admission to the races, hoping to stir up some new interest from them. Chances are they have never heard of karting or even knew they had a local track.

For years now we've offered tires and support for someone wanting to try some of the bigger events but hold back because of feeling overwhelmed or simply don't have tire inventory required. Were looking to Expand on that where there is a set program in place.
right now i'm thinking treat it like a Big brother Big sister type deal where teams that are all in can take them under there wings and support them.
Parents will sign them up with a form where they would answer some basic questions confirming the level of support needed, people gracious enough to offer the support would also be signed up with what level of support they can offer. Then if there is no connection already between anyone, we have info to decide whom best to pair them up with.
HELP ideas how to expand this concept and really make a difference, need to hear from both sides the ones that could see themselves needing the support, and the ones that could see themselves offering the support.
Plus anyone else feel free to chime in.
YOUTH PROGRAM? this is EVERY struggling karters dream. id welcome any big team to take me in and show me everything like a big brother and im closing in on 50 :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I would love to take someone under my wing. Been hoping to find a kid who was a good student in school, maybe not have a ton of support at home to be able to do things, is curious and eager to learn, to put in a kart. Helping and or advising a team that needs it would be rewarding in the same sense.
A few years ago one of my friends asked me to find him a good kid that wants to go racing. I did just that. Watching what he did really stuck with me. Two years ago i found one for me to take racing. Last year i put his brother in my other kart. I taught them everything I know about racing: driving, tires, scaling, kart maintenance, etc. so they don't "need" me. My garage is their race shop, and they race my karts. I always keep an eye out for new people that show up and have no clue. I have a second pit stall right next to mine and let them park there so i can help them get a grip on it.
This year I have 2 beginners I'm helping, an 8 yr. old boy and a 13 yr. old girl.
I honestly enjoy doing this more than when I raced. The look on their face the first time they actually passed for the lead, won a race, or even finished second is what it's all about.
So go find a good kid. Don't wait for someone to find you.

A few years ago one of my friends asked me to find him a good kid that wants to go racing. I did just that. Watching what he did really stuck with me. Two years ago i found one for me to take racing. Last year i put his brother in my other kart. I taught them everything I know about racing: driving, tires, scaling, kart maintenance, etc. so they don't "need" me. My garage is their race shop, and they race my karts. I always keep an eye out for new people that show up and have no clue. I have a second pit stall right next to mine and let them park there so i can help them get a grip on it.
This year I have 2 beginners I'm helping, an 8 yr. old boy and a 13 yr. old girl.
I honestly enjoy doing this more than when I raced. The look on their face the first time they actually passed for the lead, won a race, or even finished second is what it's all about.
So go find a good kid. Don't wait for someone to find you.
Heck even go find yourself a group of bad kids, form a team get them to the track and mentor them, maybe you could save them a lot of grief and get them on the right track.

I remember back in the mid 90s Saturn racing had a program called ICY. It was Inner City Youth Racing. Do a team of kids were selected from the big cities and they would all go to the races and help the Saturn Race team working on the car and stuff like that.

Saturnfans.com

Many years ago, Saturn Corporation participated in the Sports Car Club of America racing series. Dave Rosenblum, who ran the Inner City Youth (ICY) Racing Team, ran and managed the team that raced Saturn S-Series coupes, like the modified SC2 you see above. They not only raced, but they won – including the SCCA's World Challenge T2 Manufacturers' Cup. Read more about their efforts – and successes – in an excerpt from a promotional card that Saturn handed out at autoshows in the late 1990s.

Last edited:
I've been receiving feedback that a big hold back for the series races is they look at all the classes as Pro classes, and they don't consider themselves in that league not standing much chance to be competitive, and the entry fees are to high for them to even try, they would try a amateur class or maybe even semi pro if entry fees were little less.

Is part of the answer the regular Friday night and Saturday night points programs, start a little earlier once a month to allow some added track time And some seminars.

I've helped racers start (mostly kids) for a number of years, and frankly the kids found me. They lived in my neighborhood (and saw and heard me working on a kart) or they were referred by those kids or other adults who knew me. I'm not an "all in" racer with a big budget, and I'm not a former track champion, but I do have years of racing experience. Often my equipment was a bit outdated, so we went to try our best but not expecting to win... seemed like most of the people I helped were happy to have any opportunity to try racing, and the ones who got hooked went on to get better equipment of their own. Some of these kids were considered "trouble", but I didn't have problems - most of them needed something positive to do with idle time.

Didn't always have to do this on race days - sometimes just going on practice days was more fun (less stress and no long program to wait out). I always talked to parents before I took their kid to the track - didn't sign any papers, but did get them to agree to accept the risk. Probably shouldn't do that with how litigious people can be, but I didn't deal with people who gave me a bad gut feeling (and I never had any trouble).

We had a track that, about once a month, anybody could come for a practice day (racers and non-racers alike). Some of our better teams would show up - they were there to offer advice, answer questions, and try to help sort out performance problems. We would try to have a couple of karts (and sets of safety equipment) available for people to try - I even got to drive a top shelf kart, and got a good handle on how I could improve my own karts.

It would be great if you can get top teams to "adopt" and help lower-experienced and / or lower-budget racers get competitive at big events. It can be just as good to do this at a local and / or beginner level. At the local / beginner level all you need is an available track, some usable equipment (doesn't have to be top shelf), and a few experienced racers who are willing to share. Since a top team would have a bigger financial risk (equipment) and higher expenses at big events, you might have to offer some incentives... maybe via sponsorship from your track (which would get paid back in positive reputation and exposure). If you've developed good relationships with track sponsors or local kart shops or kart equipment suppliers, maybe you could work out that incentive / sponsorship through them.

I've helped racers start (mostly kids) for a number of years, and frankly the kids found me. They lived in my neighborhood (and saw and heard me working on a kart) or they were referred by those kids or other adults who knew me. I'm not an "all in" racer with a big budget, and I'm not a former track champion, but I do have years of racing experience. Often my equipment was a bit outdated, so we went to try our best but not expecting to win... seemed like most of the people I helped were happy to have any opportunity to try racing, and the ones who got hooked went on to get better equipment of their own. Some of these kids were considered "trouble", but I didn't have problems - most of them needed something positive to do with idle time.

Didn't always have to do this on race days - sometimes just going on practice days was more fun (less stress and no long program to wait out). I always talked to parents before I took their kid to the track - didn't sign any papers, but did get them to agree to accept the risk. Probably shouldn't do that with how litigious people can be, but I didn't deal with people who gave me a bad gut feeling (and I never had any trouble).

We had a track that, about once a month, anybody could come for a practice day (racers and non-racers alike). Some of our better teams would show up - they were there to offer advice, answer questions, and try to help sort out performance problems. We would try to have a couple of karts (and sets of safety equipment) available for people to try - I even got to drive a top shelf kart, and got a good handle on how I could improve my own karts.

It would be great if you can get top teams to "adopt" and help lower-experienced and / or lower-budget racers get competitive at big events. It can be just as good to do this at a local and / or beginner level. At the local / beginner level all you need is an available track, some usable equipment (doesn't have to be top shelf), and a few experienced racers who are willing to share. Since a top team would have a bigger financial risk (equipment) and higher expenses at big events, you might have to offer some incentives... maybe via sponsorship from your track (which would get paid back in positive reputation and exposure). If you've developed good relationships with track sponsors or local kart shops or kart equipment suppliers, maybe you could work out that incentive / sponsorship through them.
10 to 12 years ago I wouldn't of even mentioned Liability, But unfortunately my how things have changed, including the way some attorneys drum up business.

Back