Needing help with deciding engine rules

dluna11w

We have a local group that runs a beginner and advanced kid class with the 212 predator. Right now, we basically have the gentleman's agreement that the motors are out of the box stock. As the kids get more driving experience, I am sure the engines will be modified. We have a 10hp class for the kids to grow into and a 18hp (Duromax) for the adults. We want to keep this affordable as possible.

Thus far, all classes are removing governor and adding stiffer valve springs.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any way to EASILY tech an engine to make sure there have been no other modifications? A few concerns have been jetting, porting, timing, valve job, shaving head, etc. We do have a claim rule but that seems to always cause problems and hurt feelings.

I have been told , that on a 212 , you should be able to insert a 1/4 inch allen wrench between the fins of the head and block on the exhaust side , or at least get it to start in between the fins . This will let you know if the head or block has been milled . You can do an on stand free rev to see that the engines don't exceed a certain rpm . I think max rpm's for the predator out of the box is going to be between 3600 and 4000 rpm's , that is without turning the screw up . If the screw is turned up , they should get to about 5200 rpm's or so on a free rev .
It only should hurt feelings if they have put money into an engine . If its legal per the rules , there shouldn't be any issue's . IMO

Back