Needle valve & Stem

Sunday as we were setting the tire pressure on the grid for the main at Rockport, I had an entire needle and valve come out of the rim. (See attached)

how can this be prevented? Any ideas? We managed to scurry back to the trailer and get the tire that was used in the heat race.

Earlier in the day I did note that it seemed like the tire was not properly holding air. But, I wasn’t sure about it because of all the tires I’d been checking.

Attachments

• 81EA4017-4DD9-4743-8331-0DF24A7FDB6F.jpeg
    81EA4017-4DD9-4743-8331-0DF24A7FDB6F.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
I've seen that with calcium chloride in tractor tires.
New tube( less than a month old). Tube looked rotten, even though it was new.

I would suppose the steel is glued to the rubber.

If you know brand of valve stem, you can watch for future problems.

Some of the problem is the lousy quality of all rubber products
lately. I know of at least 2 instances of new valve stems breaking/leaking
on people's cars.

There are threaded all steel valve stems that go through a rubber seal that we use on the big race car. I don't use them on the karts though.
Rubber valve stems are very inexpensive and could/should be replaced more often than most of us do.
We sell them through the shop individually or in quantities if you need.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I've had that happen numerous times before on our extra special internally prepped wheels.....Now I just replace the valve stems every few months.

Stupid question time. What is the best way to remove a valve stem from the wheel? I've always gotten my wheels used with stems in them and haven't ever changed one.

Stupid question time. What is the best way to remove a valve stem from the wheel? I've always gotten my wheels used with stems in them and haven't ever changed one.
Razor knife cut the stem . Use vale core / removal tool. The cross t type .
Put stem through hole , then with the handle end of a pliers lever it through .

5/8" short -- you can get them at any auto parts store I would think. Most kart shops have them considerably cheaper than auto parts chains, but then you'll have to deal with shipping too. If you need to order something else, it wouldn't cost any additional to add a few valve stems to your package.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

5/8" short -- you can get them at any auto parts store I would think. Most kart shops have them considerably cheaper than auto parts chains, but then you'll have to deal with shipping too. If you need to order something else, it wouldn't cost any additional to add a few valve stems to your package.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

I'll be dropping an order with you guys this week and will include some. But, I do have an immediate need so will look local at the car shops. I'm also looking for a used 33a to on a practice rim.

I'll be dropping an order with you guys this week and will include some. But, I do have an immediate need so will look local at the car shops. I'm also looking for a used 33a to on a practice rim.
Just a thought... i always buy in bulk of at least 50 at a time. Then you are good for a year or 2.

Back