Negative Pressure split

gcashwell

How would a negative pressure split affect handling? In other words, what if i put 5 lbs in the left side and 4 in the right.

At my track, which is a very hard, med/high bite track, many of the clone drivers will race the feature on 3 lbs in the left and 3.5 in the right. The idea is that the soft sidewalk at the pressure allows the kart to lay over on the right sides.

Would a negative split at higher air accomplish the same thing, but not have then problems with roll speed associated with such low air?

Thanks.

The weight tansfers to the right .
removing load from the left , redistributing it on the right .
Negating the higher left air pressure gain .

The weight tansfers to the right .
removing load from the left , redistributing it on the right .
Negating the higher left air pressure gain .
Right. So would that type of split help transfer weight the right in a similar manner as the low air?

Higher air is not automatic roll speed, at 3 an 3.5 air track is not medium to high bite, it may be hard but has to be slicked over, the reverse split simply tightens the kart, and no 5 lefts and 4 rights would not react the same. However it could very well be just what your kart is looking for.

Sorry
I thought you were concerned with improving roll speed , via more air pressure .
No i do not belive 1 lb air pressure difference will affect weight transfer .
I think air pressure controls the tire contact patch .

Higher air is not automatic roll speed, at 3 an 3.5 air track is not medium to high bite, it may be hard but has to be slicked over, the reverse split simply tightens the kart, and no 5 lefts and 4 rights would not react the same. However it could very well be just what your kart is looking for.
I just threw 5 and 4 out randomly. Is their a different split on high air that COULD give similar results to the 3 and 3.5 split?

Negative split is generally used when the track has zero bite. Low air for smaller tracks and low bite situations where you are on stiff sidewall tires. Higher air for bigger momentum ovals where you need more roll speed.

You may get the effect you want by running more psi and negative split, but you won't know until you try it.
One thing in racing...there are not hard set fast rules for how to get fast. What works for one guy may, or may not, work for the next.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

"Negative" pressure is a vacuum. Can we use the term "reverse" instead? Sorry, just bored at work waiting on a belt to be delivered....:rolleyes:

Back