Nerf Bar Material

faron77M

I have a '96 Phantom Stalker that needs some new nerf bars. I work at a manufacturing facility so we have all the tooling needed to make them but just don't know what material.

I believe the main frames are made out of 4130/4140 but would plain carbon steel be fine for the nerf bars? Trying to do this as cheap as possible and I can get 3/4" OD .06" wall steel tubing at my local metal distributor. Also want to weld on new front mounts similar to the conventional style so I would assume the same material could be used.

Thanks,
Mike

Yup. I would make the nerf to bend it plowed into that way it don’t bend the frame spuds. Cause Lord knows in this day in age of karting … bumpers and nerfs are now considered consumables

The long time spec on nerf bars....min 3/4" dia steel tubing,min wall thickness .065,with a min overall length of 24" ..Do double high,required for 2-cycles....Use 4130.....

Hope this helps...
It looks like I can get a pair of standard nerf bars from BMI Karts and shipped for the same price as buying the raw materials needed. So I guess I'll be going that route. Thanks.

It looks like I can get a pair of standard nerf bars from BMI Karts and shipped for the same price as buying the raw materials needed. So I guess I'll be going that route. Thanks.
Just make sure the center to center is the same, many different karts, many different measurements for nerf bars

Back