New book for kart parents

AlecS

Hi everyone,

I'm a kart dad, and what has been an incredible journey with my son will probably be winding down soon because after one more season he'll be off to college. Karting has been much more than a sport to us, it's been central to his development as a person. Recently, I happened to drop by our local track just when the rental league was in session, and it was like time-traveling back to when we started. I remember how daunting the sport seemed from the outside, and it prompted me to write a book to help those new to the sport.

There are lots of good books about karting, but they all seem to be written for the drivers. In fact, with kids starting at an early age it's the parents who need to figure things out. This book is written for the parents (although a new adult driver will find it useful too.) The idea is to lower the barriers to entry that come with our sport, even if just a little. Starting in karts is not like buying junior a racquet or a pair of cleats and dropping him off for practice. And its not just the cost that is a challenge, but the technical aspects, and the sheer number of choices available between types of racing, classes, organizers, equipment, etc.

I don't make my living as an author, and the idea here is just to get this into the hands of as many prospective parents as possible. I'm particularly interested in hearing back from anyone who may be involved in a rental kart facility, lessons for kids, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LWJXDB8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RRFKQ56R2MDKD339AJMY

Cheers,
AlecS

Attachments

• cover.png
    cover.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm a kart dad, and what has been an incredible journey with my son will probably be winding down soon because after one more season he'll be off to college. Karting has been much more than a sport to us, it's been central to his development as a person. Recently, I happened to drop by our local track just when the rental league was in session, and it was like time-traveling back to when we started. I remember how daunting the sport seemed from the outside, and it prompted me to write a book to help those new to the sport.

There are lots of good books about karting, but they all seem to be written for the drivers. In fact, with kids starting at an early age it's the parents who need to figure things out. This book is written for the parents (although a new adult driver will find it useful too.) The idea is to lower the barriers to entry that come with our sport, even if just a little. Starting in karts is not like buying junior a racquet or a pair of cleats and dropping him off for practice. And its not just the cost that is a challenge, but the technical aspects, and the sheer number of choices available between types of racing, classes, organizers, equipment, etc.

I don't make my living as an author, and the idea here is just to get this into the hands of as many prospective parents as possible. I'm particularly interested in hearing back from anyone who may be involved in a rental kart facility, lessons for kids, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LWJXDB8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RRFKQ56R2MDKD339AJMY

Cheers,
Alec Smyth
Is this directed toward any particular kind of Kart Racing?

Is this directed toward any particular kind of Kart Racing?
This is intended for parents looking to figure out where to start. Our experience is mostly sprint and road racing, with a very little bit of oval in a Bandolero not a kart (that last not part of the book's scope.) The book does make the point that all types are perfectly valid and have their enthusiasts for good reason. Although we love road racing, I'd suggest it is not the most suitable place for a beginner simply because incidents are more consequential. This is not just about something discipline-specific such as kart setup, and I suspect topics like driver development or other parenting hints are probably common to all types of racing.

Yes sprint racing, dude just joined to push his wares
Hah, no good deed should go unpunished, but there's always an opportunity to be constructive. XXX#40, if you message me a mailing address, I'll be glad to send you a copy. Then perhaps you could post here what you think of it? It would actually be great to have an experienced karter provide a third-party review.

Hah, no good deed should go unpunished, but there's always an opportunity to be constructive. XXX#40, if you message me a mailing address, I'll be glad to send you a copy. Then perhaps you could post here what you think of it? It would actually be great to have an experienced karter provide a third-party review.
I hope it says drive with skill,and not use the kart in front of you for your brakes.😂

No thanks..
Remember the mass majority of oval racers(what this site caters to) are 2nd 3rd generation racers.
So our experience is probably very different than yours

I'm a sprint racer and oval racer...send me a copy and I'll be happy to send back any comments and respect confidentiality.

I'm a dad with zero experience who's sons want to get into kart racing. I just joined this forum to try and educate myself since I'm totally overwhelmed and don't have a clue where to start. Alec, if you want a review from the zero experience parent, I'd be happy to give one.

I'm a dad with zero experience who's sons want to get into kart racing. I just joined this forum to try and educate myself since I'm totally overwhelmed and don't have a clue where to start. Alec, if you want a review from the zero experience parent, I'd be happy to give one.
If you're racing dirt oval that book will be little use.

Send a copy to Bob.

I think many on here would like to know what Bob thinks of your book.

$22 bucks is too much to pay for a book from someone new to the sport and only has a few years experience with his kid growing up..

How about throwing something from the book on here you think is important a some of your best work?

I looked at some of your video's and they were done with quality.

LOL, you must have more money then a ...

Ordered a copy from Amazon and read it in a few hours last weekend. I think it's a good book for new or expectant kart family on the sprint side, and for kart newbies that I think are inclined to read it, I will certainly recommend it in the future.

I do think that it shows up some differences in the type of startup experience in terms of lessons and rental facilities one might have on the East Coast vs. Midwest / middle America... with a lack of rental places/leagues/coaches the approach of "get the driving basics down before you invest in your own equipment" is not very feasible... gotta jump straight in :)

Back