New Burris break in.

I’ve been fortunate enough to purchase five new sets of 2021’s. I can’t get wheels for all of them but I do have a couple sets mounted.

I’ve heard from multiple people that I need to run my new tires before racing with them. How many laps? What is the purpose? Is it ok to use them in a practice session then again in the heat and main?

Can you fellas elaborate on this?

It depends on where you are racing I'm sure. For my application, I clean the tire with tire cleaner to remove the glaze, give them a light sanding and race them. Note that I do not prep during the week: only at the track on race day. I'm sure some other tracks will require mid week or internal prep.

Some say you are to run them at practice, take them off and run your older set the rest of the night. Some say to leave the dirt on for a few days some say you can clean them with water at the track. have they been cut or are they stickers? the idea is to get a few heat cycles in them to toughen them up before racing them. other will give you there take for sure 5 sets? Dang that's a lot considering burris will last you a few years.

Bolt them up and hit a vacant parking lot and let them ride, run them for 20 minutes at a slower pace, take them off send them for cutting

Scuffing in 33s is more about putting a good heat cycle in the tire to help cure them, 90 % of application require a heat cycled 33 as they will hold on longer for your feature run and be a tenth or 2 quicker than a non heat cycled set, a 10 to 12 lap run when the track has grip will do it, a practice run ( hot laps ) will not cut it as track has very little grip and only 5 laps avg, there are rare times where a non heat cycled set will be a tenth quicker, which is usually when track is still a little moist slick in between transition of getting good.

You should probably work with your tire guy on a plan for these tires. You need to be able to communicate your plans for this season and depending on your racing program (local events only or participation in traveling series) best guess for next season. I would think you'll want to get at least 1 heat cycle in all of them ASAP. Then you have to talk through no prep and prep strategies.

Guys if the tires have been cut and sanded, there's nothing else needed, mount them and race
not according to two tire guys near me. both told me to run them in practice and take them off to "tuffn up" I have a hard time believing any of this as we use to put stickers on our karts and raced them with out any problems whatsoever. when I take temperatures at the track the tire only gets around 100 degrees that's only 2 degrees hotter than my forehead. a tire sitting in the sun or under warm water will get hotter than it ever will on the track. I do whatever my tire person tells me to do. if there were to be any problems they will make it right and not blame me for not listening to them.

not according to two tire guys near me. both told me to run them in practice and take them off to "tuffn up" I have a hard time believing any of this as we use to put stickers on our karts and raced them with out any problems whatsoever. when I take temperatures at the track the tire only gets around 100 degrees that's only 2 degrees hotter than my forehead. a tire sitting in the sun or under warm water will get hotter than it ever will on the track. I do whatever my tire person tells me to do. if there were to be any problems they will make it right and not blame me for not listening to them.
They were heat cycled when they were cut and sanded.
That's why I've been my tire guy for the last 22 years, just because guys buy cutters, and rebrand prep, doesn't make them experts

Guys if the tires have been cut and sanded, there's nothing else needed, mount them and race
Not the way it works here,especially 33s years back I thought the same what difference can it make, so I proved it for myself one night as soon as races were over, 2 sets scuffed 2 sets unscruffed ,all same date codes all cut same by same guy, one set of scuffed tires were tenth quicker, the other two tenth, plus stayed quicker late in the run, the unscruffed sets identical lap times plus fell off quicker, now as I pointed out in my other post there are rare occasions that the unscruffed set will be tenth quicker.

Not the way it works here,especially 33s years back I thought the same what difference can it make, so I proved it for myself one night as soon as races were over, 2 sets scuffed 2 sets unscruffed ,all same date codes all cut same by same guy, one set of scuffed tires were tenth quicker, the other two tenth, plus stayed quicker late in the run, the unscruffed sets identical lap times plus fell off quicker, now as I pointed out in my other post there are rare occasions that the unscruffed set will be tenth quicker.
Like I said, being cut and sanded they are ready to race.
One being quicker could of been any number of other reasons, and can't say....this did this
I'll take the best Burris guy in business thoughts on it over anyone else

Last edited:
Like I said, being cut and sanded they are ready to race.
One being quicker could of been any number of other reasons, and can't say....this did this
I'll take the best Burris guy in business thoughts on it over anyone else
The best Burris tire guy could just be a Gal 😉

Back