"New" discovery (only took me 40+ years)

I've always centered the head using the crushed solder method but you have to do it every time you pull the head. There's got to be a better way.

I've seen these head washers with a locating taper on one side that will center the head or at least make it repeatable. I've tried to center the combustion chamber on the bolt pattern before cutting but those holes are cast and all over the place. Are the people using those washers just fooling themselves or is there a way to set it up so they actually center the head?
Ive never thought about this.and ive put several engines together.does this pertain to newer reed motors too.😂

The piston is not necessarily centered in the bore as it has clearance to the wall. Once the piston makes contact with the solder it won't necessarily self center. That's why you take an average.

Absolutely! Plus the sum of the front+back usually shows bigger squish then the sum of left+right, because the piston can "tip" foward/backward easier than in the direction of the wrist pin. Piston clearance can effect it as well.

PM

Back