New eng break in

SAE30 oil to help the rings bed and I prettymuch agree with the theories suggested above in terms of not spending too much time messing around. Just get it up to temp before you give it socks.
Then swap to your fave oil for racing....

Does one run enough hours on an engine to really seat the stock rings in an season? I often wondered about that. I bet that if one would put an hour meter on, you would be supprised how little time it actually runs. Moly rings would be a different story.

SAE30 oil to help the rings bed and I prettymuch agree with the theories suggested above in terms of not spending too much time messing around. Just get it up to temp before you give it socks.
Then swap to your fave oil for racing....

Right, I've flip flopped a couple of times on the use of break-in oil vs breaking-in on the oil your going to race. After some testing my preference is to use a good high zinc break-in oil, the synthetic racing oils (Amsoil 4T, Redline, etc) we use contain friction modifiers that don't help the ring seating process. The condition of the oil after the first oil drain will tell you how well your sealed up.

Back