New head and neck restraints

Sportography

from Simpson.
on jayski

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20131210b

Simpson introduces Hybrid Sport Head and Neck Restraint: The Hybrid Sport from Simpson Performance Products is the latest in SFI 38.1 approved head and neck restraint technology from one of the most trusted names in racing safety. The evolution of the Hybrid Pro Rage technology and design has led the way for the development of the new high performance Hybrid Sport which promises the racer a better product, at the same price range as the Pro Rage. The Hybrid Sport is lighter, weighing in at 20% less for the large, including hardware; and the DuPont carbon/polymer construction is sleek, modern and appealing with defined wings for seatbelt containment. The sliding tethers and patent pending multi-tether system enhances side to side range of movement and field of vision. The Hybrid Sport over performed in the strenuous SFI testing lab to gain SFI 38.1 certification. The Hybrid Sport retails beginning at $595 and is available in sizes Extra Small  Extra Large. The Hybrid Sport will be available in late December, 2013 and will be followed by the Hybrid Sport Youth model, available in February, 2014. The Hybrid Sport Youth is scaled down for the growing racer and will retail at $399.(Simpson Performance Products)(12-10-2013)

Do not work or sell Simpson or any karting supplies.
Bill

I thought these were designed & manufactured by a company called Safety Solutions?....Im guessing Simpson bought the name from them or something like that, unless Safety Solutions is a sister company to Simpson...but Im pretty sure thats who designed the Hybrid H/N restraints.

None of those sites list the one in the article, the hybrid "sport." Which is what l'd like to see to see the differences.

None of those sites list the one in the article, the hybrid "sport." Which is what l'd like to see to see the differences.

I didnt read the entire article...it does state.....The Hybrid Sport will be available in late December, 2013 and will be followed by the Hybrid Sport Youth model, available in February, 2014. The Hybrid Sport Youth is scaled down for the growing racer and will retail at $399.

Its not quite late December yet...I guess they arent letting the cat out of the bag just yet so to speak.

Just interested in getting one and trying to figure out if it's the one I need or if one of the available models is what I need, lol.

Is there a head and neck restraint that does not need the use of safety belts? Seems like all the ones I look at have to have 2" or 3" shoulder belts and our karts don't have them thangs.

the 360 device and leatee's are the only ones that can work without belts even tho you will see people try to use those rage type without them

I don't like the 360 devices, they just look like bulky neck collars, which is what we have already in a neck brace.

The hybrid R3 specifically says it's usable without belts for karting. But, not sure how it would work for oval karts, or if it's more geared for sit up style karts.

Matter of fact....this what is said in the article...."The Hybrid Sport is lighter, weighing in at 20% less for the large, including hardware; and the DuPont carbon/polymer construction is sleek, modern and appealing with defined wings for seatbelt containment."
There its stating for use with seatbelt containment....nothing about with belts for karting. Going on off of the article...there is nothing about it being used without seatbelts for karting...it could written somewhere else. The R3 Carbon is the only Hybrid product that I see that makes claims of it being used without belts. 1. " The R3 Carbon protects without being dependent on the seatbelts." 2. "The R3 is designed to travel with the driver and does not rely on seatbelts to be effective." Even making this claim...I dont see how it would be legal in a flat kart....again...absolutely no side impact protection whatsoever. Now, with that being said...I think what they are meaning is....this particular model says it doesnt rely on the belts...I guessing its because of the way the back is designed unlike the other models & the Hans. I would say it can be used in karting..BUT only in a champ with the use of a head restaint system....jmo.

This link shows a picture of someone wearing it... http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck/r3.html

I'd be more concerned with the lack of support from whiplash or compression of your neck which is the most common problem in karting. if you hit head on your ejected and can go helmet first f into the wall or ground suffering an injury like football players often see and side to side your odds of being ejected are pretty good too.now when you back your kart into the wall or you get rear ended stopped on the track what on that thing keeps your head from going backwards? you may think the 360 looks big and bulky but I'm hear to tell you I had so much more freedom of movement with that and it worked perfect for me when I had to use it. I did a couple kart wheels and landed on my head and the only thing hurt was my tail bone . if I had been wearing that R3 there is a good chance I would no longer be with us or have suffered a devastating spinal injury do to the compression my neck would have suffered had I not had that brace on. now if you want to use that a long with a foam neck brace that I could see for a little added protection but with that alone I wouldn't even think of wearing without belts

i've owned the 360 device for two years now. I won't race without it. the device LOOKS big and bulky, but when you slip it on and get it adjusted, you notice the difference in weight (no more than the horse collar), the freedom of movement (you don't have the device trying to get under the bottom of your helmet) and the fact that you can turn your head to both sides without the collar try coming lose or limiting your movement. I flipped my kart on a 3/8 mile paved oval at wide open throttle (guy cut down on me as I was passing him)...the kart landed upside down and I was next to it on my back. the guys in the pits swear that my head slapped the pavement and where worried that I had been knocked out. I was laying on the track laughing!!! the device held together, prevented my head/helmet from hitting the track and there wasn't a mark on the helmet and only one little tiny mark on the covering of the device. BEST $180 that I EVER spent!! nope, won't race without one. if you ever get down my way (watermelon capital speedway, Cordele, Georgia) and want to get out on the track and feel the difference.....come on down!!! you won't be sorry! it will make a believer out of you!! there was opposition against wearing the HANS when it first come out and was mandated for use....look at the reduction in injuries while wearing it. the Valhalla 360 device can and will reduce personal injury.....

my son wears a Hutchinson devise which is made by Safety Solutions in his car, The Hybrid is very similar in some aspects, but really is a true mix of the Hanns, and Hutchinson. I can't see it working the way it is designed to work, unless you was in a champ kart with harnesses.

Back