New Honda GX160 T2 ignition coils - apparently a bit faster???....

Heres the full article, have a read......

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/tech_articles/FAF264_tech.pdf

if the article is right or wrong, I'm not too worried......its the general simplicity of having a low-cost real-time temperature measurement in the exhaust, in order to give an indication of the combustion condition, which removes a fair amount of guess-work, a thermocouple can be bought for $10-$20.......the alternatives are installing a lambda sensor kits are around the $500 region, or if you want to be real posh then in-cylinder pressure measurement, but thats very big money, well into 4 figures, and 5 figures if you want real decent kit from the likes of AVL or FEV.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

http://www.tfxengine.com/

Heres the full article, have a read......
Why would I want to waste my time reading an article by a person who I believe has no idea what he's talking about? I appreciate your offering it, don't think I don't, but if you really want to know how the EGT works and what it's telling you, you'll do a search on my name and read my posts relating to the EGT.

I'm a karter, have been for over 50 years, and I love karting, and I don't want to see any karters get drawn in by somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Something else, I don't know what kind of thermocouple you're talking about trying, but if it doesn't protrude down to the center of the exhaust flow in the header, I can't see how it could work.

Have you ever experienced this; have you ever driven a car with a carburetor up a steep hill on a really hot day? Have you ever heard the knocking sound the engine can make under those conditions? That sound was detonation. Detonation is caused by excessive heat and/or pressure. On a flat and level road, with no excessive load on the engine, there would be no detonation normally, but pulling up a steep hill, increasing the load on the engine, on a hot day, and the engine will detonate. Of course with today's modern computer controlled fuel injection, the fuel flow can be increased when the computer detects detonation, thus eliminating the detonation. Under those conditions, the fuel mixture is nowhere near stoichiometric.

Now you've come to realize the benefits of the EGT, my only concern is that you utilize the technology correctly. Best of luck.

Getting back to the original post ..has anyone dynoed the original coils verus the T2 version and what did you find ? Is there a part number for a T2 coil ? does it require a different flywheel ?

Yes, its getting rather tedious isnt it, I looked for previous posts about EGT's, but all I found were a load if irritating posts from the same individual, after the 2nd page I gave up.

Yes I have back-to-back tested the new and old T2 GX160 coils on the same engine, within 10 minutes of each other, I generally found that from 4500 to 6000rpm the power did not fall off as much, at 6000rpm it makes about another 1/4 to 1/2 a hp, which is quite welcome, we always measure the spin times from 3000 to 6200rpm and both my engines stayed the same at 7.2 seconds, max power at stayed the same at 7.9hp at about 4800rpm

But I have seen engines on the same dyno making 8.35hp with spin times of 6.8 seconds, and the power at the top end is really very strong. the peak power is made at 5200rpm.

Both of my engines cams are timed at 112 and 114 ICL, my suspicion is the coil upgrade is best combined with a cam timing ICL of 116Deg, but I am yet to try this.

Yes, its getting rather tedious isnt it, I looked for previous posts about EGT's, but all I found were a load if irritating posts from the same individual, after the 2nd page I gave up.
"Irritating"? How can a post be irritating? "Inaccurate" I could understand that. "Not helpful" I can understand that, but "irritating" that I can't understand.

"A load" of irritating post, but you only read two, so how would you know that there are "a load" of irritating posts? I have no problem with you not liking what I say, but if you're going to put somebody down, at least be honest about it.

Yes I have back-to-back tested the new and old T2 GX160 coils on the same engine, within 10 minutes of each other, I generally found that from 4500 to 6000rpm the power did not fall off as much, at 6000rpm it makes about another 1/4 to 1/2 a hp, which is quite welcome, we always measure the spin times from 3000 to 6200rpm and both my engines stayed the same at 7.2 seconds, max power at stayed the same at 7.9hp at about 4800rpm
"The power did not fall off as much"? As much as what? How do you determine if there was a gain in horsepower if the spin times are the same? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not totally sure of how an acceleration dyno works, or how it gathers its data. I understand the concept, but not the details. I have been under the impression that a change in horsepower would result in a change of spin time. I'm assuming "spin time" is the time it takes for the engine to accelerate from one RPM to another. Does your dyno produce graph printouts? A graph showing horsepower and torque? Nothing like a picture.

"if you really want to know how the EGT works and what it's telling you, you'll do a search on my name and read my posts relating to the EGT" Funniest thing I've read today, don't look up reliable sources of information like textbooks or SAE papers, just go straight to the fountain of knowledge. :p

"if you really want to know how the EGT works and what it's telling you, you'll do a search on my name and read my posts relating to the EGT" Funniest thing I've read today, don't look up reliable sources of information like textbooks or SAE papers, just go straight to the fountain of knowledge. :p

You make fun, that's good, everybody appreciates a good laugh now and then.

If I gave you the impression that I am the only one who knows how to use the EGT, I apologize. Thing is, when it comes to karting, I have a lot of knowledge of how the EGT works. I believe your suggestion is good, people should look for other sources, they may be superior to me. Thing is, you didn't give any sources for the knowledge that you suggested people to go to. I did!

Tell me your sources that explain how I might be wrong! If I'm wrong, I'm the one who wants to know about it the most. I only give my name as a source because I don't know where all the sources are that you talk about. I'm a karter (50 years this year) and I think my experience with the EGT and a kart engine are pretty solid.

LOL Better then a comedy club but al does know a few things for sure. Just lacks approach LOL

Not arguing with you, I'm no diplomat for sure, but if the information is good,... why would anybody hold that against me? I don't have time to pat everybody on the head and give them cookies and milk .LOL

I bought 2 of these new coils in the UK but over here we get caned on the cost, 2 cost me £190......but I notice they can be bought for $15 each in the states, can anyone recommend a US shop or site that sells them and are prepared to ship to the UK? As I now need 3 off for my other motors. I have contacted a few sites but they are not responding.

Just to clarify the Honda part number is 30500-Z0T-003

Thanks

Back