New (I think) type of governor question.

mpire7102

I've purchased a Predator 420cc engine from Harbor Freight, and have been watching many performance modification videos on how to remove the governor. I had an idea but want some input on it first because I'm no expert at this. If I remove the little arm from the governor gear, would this not effectively disable the governor without having to rework my throttle linkage? Or is this a bad idea? If so could you tell me why?

Thanks in advance for your input!

If I removed the mechanism that runs it though, it would be a good idea? I mean both the arm, and the little assembly on the side that moves it.

I don't know exactly what little assembly your talking about .
If there is anything internal it could cause problems .
Short cuts and not following directions rarley work for me .

I took the external component of the governor off and the little clip that keeps the shaft from falling into the block came off and my engine got bound up. I was extremely lucky and this happened when I was turning it over by hand so nothing was damaged. The lesson here is to not rely on that clip. If you do want to take this shortcut to remove the governor I would recommend cutting the arm off the piece that clamps to the governor shaft and reinstalling it.

It really is easy to open the engine and remove the assembly the right way. Just make sure you get every washer!

I feel I should explain something at this point. I'm autistic, and not very good at making myself clear. My apologies. My intent is to open up the engine, remove the arm on the underside of the governor cog, and remove the gear and clip assembly on the inside of the crankcase that moves the arm on the governor cog inside the engine, then reassemble the engine and use the same throttle setup as was factory. I'm not attempting to take shortcuts, I just felt as though I had a good idea and wanted some input from people more experienced than I. I hope I made it a little clearer what I was thinking. Please don't think I'm one of those shortcut takers. I'm not. I've had to fix too much damage done by shortcut takers in my life.

Last edited:
The two circled parts are what I'm thinking of removing, except I just want to cut the governor clip like circled in the first pic so the top of it can stay and be used in the throttle setup. Does this look doable or do I still risk damage to my engine?

Attachments

• gov 1.png
    gov 1.png
    421.7 KB · Views: 29
  • gov 2.png
    gov 2.png
    474.4 KB · Views: 30
No worries! That makes everything very clear. I don't see why there would be any risk of doing it that way. I do not recommend doing anything based solely off of my opinion 😂 let some people that actually know what they are talking about chime in!

It helps me out that I've worked on cars for (counts on fingers and toes) 27 years off and on (I love computers and cars but I can't stand computers in cars, so I avoid anything after 2004) so I've got good working mechanical knowledge, but small engines are still only an intermediate subject for me. I guess I'll wait a bit to see what Flattop has to say on the matter too. I'd like several opinions if possible but I don't know how many people are on this forum... I just found it. Lol, and I'm new to forums too. I usually just read and don't post, but NO ONE has ever posted anything about the idea I have. I just feel like it can't be original idea. So I feel like I'm missing something here.

That looks good to me . Most remove everything and setup a different throttle method .
Be sure not to miss any tiny washers .
A return spring may be needed .

Most everyone I know removes everything for the governor and places a bolt with sealant in the hole where the rod extends out . Less weight , and less parts to come apart inside the crankcase .

I'm only increasing it's work load a little. I don't want to push it more than it can handle, I just think the way it's set up sucks. Like, maybe I'll get it up to 4200rpm but I've no reason to stress it out yet. My gokart is a very peculiar setup I bought from a friend for 60$. It's got a lawn tractor transmission on it. Not a riding mower gearbox, an honest to goodness 3 speed tractor transmission with reverse. So I'll never get it up very fast unless I drop near a grand into the engine. And at that point, yes, I will completely remove all the governor parts and reroute the throttle control.

Back