New Idea for a mobile kart stand

paulkish

old fart
Storage for lithium batteries to use for kart starter, electric lift and or power for stand mobility go into the tubes the stand is made from.
Or a power pack mounted out of the way on the stand instead of in the tubes.

You'd only need to have the battery storage inside the tubes of the stand and a connector for your starter and to hook up charger from vehicle to and from the track.

---------------------------------------
Or maybe use an electric mobility scooter for the stands power and moving the kart and driver to the grid?
Or(no driving in the pits) maybe strip down a mobility scooter to set the kart down low on and ride the kart and mobility scooter back to your pit spot?
Or maybe use a mobility scooter stripped and built up high to accommodate your kart to move your kart?

Storage for lithium batteries to use for kart starter, electric lift and or power for stand mobility go into the tubes the stand is made from.
Or a power pack mounted out of the way on the stand instead of in the tubes.

You'd only need to have the battery storage inside the tubes of the stand and a connector for your starter and to hook up charger from vehicle to and from the track.

---------------------------------------
Or maybe use an electric mobility scooter for the stands power and moving the kart and driver to the grid?
Or(no driving in the pits) maybe strip down a mobility scooter to set the kart down low on and ride the kart and mobility scooter back to your pit spot?
Or maybe use a mobility scooter stripped and built up high to accommodate your kart to move your kart?
A guy at our track built one with a mobility scooter worked pretty good. Had a stand he stood on rode it right to the grid.

Or maybe use an electric mobility scooter for the stands power and moving the kart and driver to the grid
I am one step ahead of you, hoping to be able to pick up my used scooter on Tuesday. They seem to all run on 24volts, so i haven't quite figured out the best way to get power for a 12v winch but I have ideas.

Center tap bad idea.

Charger also does not differentiate which battery is discharged more. So one battery gets overcharged while other does not charge enough.

Better option would be a resistor, or rheostat to lower voltage for winch.

At 24 volts, winch would be fast, but likely not last long.

I am one step ahead of you, hoping to be able to pick up my used scooter on Tuesday. They seem to all run on 24volts, so i haven't quite figured out the best way to get power for a 12v winch but I have ideas.
If my region/national VA supplied scooter race does happen next summer depending on entries.
I'll have 4 of these babies powering my scooter. ... :)

I can fit 4 in where my lead acids are not and save bout 40#'s of weight. ... :)
It's already stripped down and I installed 12" wheels replacing the 10" wheels it came with.
It's faster both on the flat and down hill now.
Usetabe I could turn sharp at full speed now I have to slow down for some turns. ... :)
Next comes the Butler Built rat rod racing seat replacing the coushie big stuff one on it now.
If that ain't nuff I've found a high amp direct replacement motor for it.
Race will be at either Painsville or Lorain speedway and I have been offered support from the Stokes Cleveland VA hospital for advertizing it via fliers.
Also got an after race bar lined up for a "Scooter In", same as a cruse in and extra parking at a vfw/am leigon near by.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HLJVF83/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A5KU5HDAPDC75&th=1

Attachments

• battery.gif
    battery.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Center tap bad idea.

Charger also does not differentiate which battery is discharged more. So one battery gets overcharged while other does not charge enough.

Better option would be a resistor, or rheostat to lower voltage for winch.

At 24 volts, winch would be fast, but likely not last long.
Yeah that's the issue. But the issue with lowering voltage is finding something semi affordable that will deliver like 300 amps to winch. Most stuff I see, with my quick searches, is only good for like 20amps

I don't know what kind of winch you have but mine works fine for a 2day show picking up a UAS kart at 200 lbs. with a lawnmower battery. My winch is a warn 2500. later Chuck.

A maybe more budget friendly option would be 2 12 volt chargers to charge batteries individually.
Life of batteries likely still be shortened somewhat.

Oshkosh trucks for the military utilize 2 alternators, 1 12, 1 24 volt to use 24 volt start, and 12 volt accessories. This is for maintaining the batteries while in operation.

Typically the batteries are in series .
Just pull power off one.
But then the winch causes them to discharge unevenly
Right . you've tested it then .
Question : How do 36 volt golf carts run 12 volt lights .

A maybe more budget friendly option would be 2 12 volt chargers to charge batteries individually.
Life of batteries likely still be shortened somewhat.
yeah im thinking a couple of trickle chargers and charging individually is probably the simplest solution. Also I am considering some type of switching to power the winch on one battery one time and the other the next time..

edit: im not familiar with 36volt golf karts, but my guess is they have some sort of 36v-12v converter. Which wouldn't have to be high current if it was only running lights and not a winch. "They" make all kinds of things to convert voltage but they arent rated at the current that a winch requires.

switch the batteries mid season if draw down is a concern .
See if I can make this simple. The switch for the trolling motor selects the low 12volt post or the high 24volt post. When you are on 12volts you are running on one battery. That is why I swap them around mid season.

80-picture_php_pictureid_197137_jpg_d3f0268016b744ff32b7743b42ad059d6bb29d26.png

I have an in car, plugs into cigar lighter, that charges both my scooter batteries while driving my car.
One end has a cigar lighter plug on it and the other end from the charger goes into the three prong on the scooter.
I also have a usb charger which will output from the 3 prong charging port on the scooter.
When the scooters not in the car I charge with AC.
When in the car I charge via cigar lighter port which is only active when the cars running.

My scooter uses 12v battery power, my winch uses 12v power off a separate battery reason being tracks like Jasper in Florida only allow kart and starter on the grid. I use to start my kart from the winch battery until that issue at the GN a couple years ago.Chuck.

Fastech sells a 24v kart lift winch motor.
Whoa! Now that could solve some problems... I will see if it's afforable

Edit: can you send me a link to this winch you speak of? im not finding any 24v winches that do not cost a fortune

Last edited:
Back