New Karter Help!!!!

Sk0m0

Hello I just got a kart this past week and I plan on racing next season as the season has basically ended here around Pittsburgh PA. So I was curious as to what all I need to get started and be competitive like tire prep/wash, tools, tachs of some sort or anything else? I plan on racing a stock predator class but have been debating about doing clones. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mychron 4 or 5 is the best .
Digatron are ok would need too be a brand new or next to free .
The hour tach gauge is adequate , barely.

Hello I just got a kart this past week and I plan on racing next season as the season has basically ended here around Pittsburgh PA. So I was curious as to what all I need to get started and be competitive like tire prep/wash, tools, tachs of some sort or anything else? I plan on racing a stock predator class but have been debating about doing clones. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Make sure you get a clutch that allows you to change driver gears. Get a few different rear axle sprockets and a tachometer. A mychron is best due to faster data collection, but more expensive. If it is a box stock predator class target about 5000 rpm for your max, above that you are just making noise. If you are running the stock gas tank, make sure to drill holes in the cap to vent the tank, or it could starve itself of fuel after a few laps.

As for preps, that depends on the track conditions and the tires you have. Do you have any tracks around you that require you to run a certain tire? What type of dirt do your local tracks have? Pick a line of tire preps and stick to it. There are several good brands.

Make sure you get a clutch that allows you to change driver gears. Get a few different rear axle sprockets and a tachometer. A mychron is best due to faster data collection, but more expensive. If it is a box stock predator class target about 5000 rpm for your max, above that you are just making noise. If you are running the stock gas tank, make sure to drill holes in the cap to vent the tank, or it could starve itself of fuel after a few laps.

As for preps, that depends on the track conditions and the tires you have. Do you have any tracks around you that require you to run a certain tire? What type of dirt do your local tracks have? Pick a line of tire preps and stick to it. There are several good brands.
I have one track that requires Burris tires and the rest are open I believe. I don't know the exact type of surface the one looked to be clay but I don't know for certain can't really find much info on the type of dirt or even the size. What brand clutch would be recommended. I believe I have a max torque but I don't know what the other one is.

Once you Identify which tracks just post here there are guy's that will know better the specifics, As for Blairsville yes you need close set up and gearing, but it's all about tires and prep there is probably more important than any other Pa track.

I have one track that requires Burris tires and the rest are open I believe. I don't know the exact type of surface the one looked to be clay but I don't know for certain can't really find much info on the type of dirt or even the size. What brand clutch would be recommended. I believe I have a max torque but I don't know what the other one is.
Personally I run a Hilliard Inferno Flame for Predator, but I think the Max Torque is pretty popular.

Once you figure out your tracks, get your kart on some scales. Remember that changes in stagger will change your corner weights. The manufacturer of your kart should have some rough numbers you can use as a starting point. If you are unfamiliar with a track, look up videos of it on Youtube or find the track on Google Maps and use the measuring features to estimate the size of the track and how tight the turns are. I'm unfamiliar with Pennsylvania dirt tracks, but I think there are quite a few people on here in that area.

To break it down... You will need a good tire guage, durometer, stagger tape, at least 2 complete sets of wrenches, you can get away with a ratchet, extention and deep well sockets, allen wrenches, depending on you weight and weight of kart you may need lead. Spares of everything as far as parts. Like everyone else said a mychron is best but can be costly, at least 3-4 sets of tires, and the list goes on. But hopefully that helps a little

10 mm , 7/16, 1/2 , 3/4 , spark plug socket ,1/4 " allen wrench , cresent , pliers , hammer and a hand pump oh a screwdriver and a socket to remove the wheels .

Last edited:
To break it down... You will need a good tire guage, durometer, stagger tape, at least 2 complete sets of wrenches, you can get away with a ratchet, extention and deep well sockets, allen wrenches, depending on you weight and weight of kart you may need lead. Spares of everything as far as parts. Like everyone else said a mychron is best but can be costly, at least 3-4 sets of tires, and the list goes on. But hopefully that helps a little
The kart themselves seem to be all standard sizes and the motors seem to be all metric, Just FYI for this guy so he doesn't round bolts off.

Once you Identify which tracks just post here there are guy's that will know better the specifics, As for Blairsville yes you need close set up and gearing, but it's all about tires and prep there is probably more important than any other Pa track.
What type of tire prep would be recommended for blairsville. I heard goat p but I don't know what type of tire wash would work with that. It seems every brand has there own prep and wash but i can't find anything to go along with goat p.

Goat pee at blairsville they are Burris only, black sand and a good bite agent to fire it off at good hope and slippery rock they are open tire. Don’t go crazy buying preps... kart setup and learning the way around first then just buy what works. I race goodhope and the rock. I’ll help all I can just hit me up.

Goat pee at blairsville they are Burris only, black sand and a good bite agent to fire it off at good hope and slippery rock they are open tire. Don’t go crazy buying preps... kart setup and learning the way around first then just buy what works. I race goodhope and the rock. I’ll help all I can just hit me up.
Thank you so much I keep jumping around what tracks I want to race. My main concern with blairsville is how long you are there since I swear every class has at least 10 cautions.

Back