New karting dad

deckpen

Ok here it goes. Just bought son a flat kart with an alcohol Briggs Flathead. Plan on swapping to BSP eventually as the only class that can be run is the RWYB here locally. May end up running the Briggs for the first race or two. Have some general questions to find a basic starting point and working from there. I have read a lot of setup information online but a lot depends on where you run.

For a 1/8 mile semi banked clay oval what should be my basic staring point for tire and wheel sizes?

1/8 mile would be 1 1/2 front stagger 1 1/2 rear stagger
LF 5 in. wide tire on a 6 in wide rim
RF 8 in. tire on 10 in rim
LR 6 in tire on a 8.5 rim
RR 8 in. tire on 10 in rim
Also if its a lite young driver get the bottom of the seat at least even with the top of the chassis, and the top of the seat about 9 in. off the axle

That’s a pretty big track!! In my layout, it would be about 180 feet between the straights and the straights would be about 160 feet long.
Is the track really that big?
I think people would be able to help you more if they knew what make, model and year the kart is.

On the right side would that be a 12x8-6 or a 11x8.10-6? Or is that determined based on stagger needed? Example little to no banking 12x8-6 (maxxis) or banked 11x8.10-6 (burris) or does it not matter that much and is more based on the brand of tire you chose to run?

On the right side would that be a 12x8-6 or a 11x8.10-6? Or is that determined based on stagger needed? Example little to no banking 12x8-6 (maxxis) or banked 11x8.10-6 (burris) or does it not matter that much and is more based on the brand of tire you chose to run?
you can use either for both conditions, its more about what you do the the LR on both tires, once mounted you may have to swell RS tires or shrink LR to get the stagger correct on the rear.

Al, an 1/8 most of the time is close to an 1/8 around the outside, any thing under a 1/5 is considered a short track imo

Maxxis and Burris....its like buying a hoosier or a goodyear. Long as you prep the tires you will be fine. Pinks and Blues is considered an open tire class and they are much softer than EL tires. But a Burris vs a Maxxis...thats just like nike or reebox. Its all preference. Most traxks all run the same tire rule.

Ok so I have a set of Maxxis EL's and Burris B55's. The track this weekend will be outside and will be hard clay some rain this week ending on Wednesday so may have a little moisture. Next week is indoors so expecting based off past races here a dry somewhat loose dirt red clay. We have practice Friday Night so going to star with about 1 inch of stagger other than that going to go with a fairly neutral setup and adjust from there so I can take notes on what I am doing. Hopefully my son can run consistent enough laps to give me good info. Should be interesting

Al, an 1/8 most of the time is close to an 1/8 around the outside, any thing under a 1/5 is considered a short track imo
Thanks, that turns on some lights!! I didn’t know that. It does make me wonder “Why”. I guess it does make a track sound bigger.

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

New kart dad after you get the tires set up you might want to go prepless you have so much to learn and that prep stuff will only get in the way of learning yea i know the preppers will ***** but if you look at other post you will understand lol !

Back