New old guy.

SloRyd66

Hello folks. I’m looking to get into karting just as a more than likely once a month thing to turn some laps at Orlando Kart Center instead of renting. I came across an OTK FA V2 rolling chassis listed locally which was running a 2 stroke Rotax with a Mychron 4, extra tires and a cart for 2k but he’s had it listed for 5 months without selling it so I’m sure cash in hand would probably lower what he’s asking. I’m wanting a 4 stroke however. Are the V2’s easy to swap over to an LO206 type engine for example other than moving the sprocket inboard of the carrier, shifting the seat and getting a motor mount adapter. Not looking to break the budget just for some occasional fun. I’ve been searching for a complete kart and have spoken with a few racers at OKC but everyone wants dumb money for their karts. Like $3400 for a similar rolling chassis without a motor or Mychron. Heck, I may just throw an HF Ghost on it and go turn some laps. I’m 56 and not really looking to compete. I’m excellent mechanically so I can easily wrench on my own kart. Should I just be patient and wait for a good deal on a complete 4 stroke in case I ever want to get a little more serious and run the LO206 class. Thoughts?
D389ACD2-A1AF-4558-AFEC-2524D87B7E35.jpeg
EF9962B1-FCB8-478D-A537-8DC7EE42F46E.jpeg

Attachments

• DDEFA8D1-F5B7-4FFD-8794-CE857CD18914.jpeg
    DDEFA8D1-F5B7-4FFD-8794-CE857CD18914.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
Make sure they have a Ghost class and go for it. Looks clean and decently maintained and you can probably get your money back out of it if you don't like it. 2 grand isn't a lot of money since the Covid checks jacked the price of toys up a bunch. Just be sure you can run a Ghost before buying.

Wait for a sprint person too reply .
They can be problematic switching to left hand drive .
Chain /clutch and seat struts get very tight and make contact.

Make sure they have a Ghost class and go for it. Looks clean and decently maintained and you can probably get your money back out of it if you don't like it. 2 grand isn't a lot of money since the Covid checks jacked the price of toys up a bunch. Just be sure you can run a Ghost before buying.
Right now I have no intention of racing. It’d be a side hobby once a month at OKC or Bushnell versus renting their commercial karts. All I do is work and need an outlet every once in a while. Money really isn’t the issue but I really don’t want to break the bank for something that’ll sit more than it’s used. It’d be nice if LO206’s were readily available around here or they weren’t pushing $1,000. OKC doesn’t have a Ghost class but that wouldn’t matter right now and I could swap out the Ghost if I came across a 206 and wanted to compete. Have to double check if tech would poo-poo this chassis with a conversion, but again that’s either down the road or moot for what I’m looking to do at the moment which is just turn some laps on owner days and relieve some stress. 😊

Wait for a sprint person too reply .
They can be problematic switching to left hand drive .
Chain /clutch and seat struts get very tight and make contact.
Yeah, from my research some say it’s doable depending on the chassis and I’m aware of the clearance challenges. Pretty sure these OTK chassis’s are all the same other than the motor mount, struts and possibly rear axle. I can weld and I’m an excellent wrench so relocating the seat struts wouldn’t be a problem. I’m 5’10 190 so it wouldn’t be as bad as trying to stuff an xxl seat in the chassis. The research continues 👍🏻

We have converted several OTK chassis to 4 stroke/LO206 karts. If the engine is mounted far right and the drum clutch is installed inboard then chain clearances isn't much of an issue.

Alternatively the Rotax engine is very reliable and easy to maintain. It is rated at close to 30 hp and at that price will give you good bang for your buck. Give it a whirl before converting, you might like it

$2000?? Excellent deal. OTK chassis' are one of the best and as Compu-Kart says above, so is the motor.
Buy it, have someone with some experience go over the motor and RUN IT!!
After you run the Rotax, you won't want a 206. Trust me!
And it's a very nice road racing package if you ever want to give that a try. Change the gear and go. Daytona, Roebling, why not?
Clark Gaynor Sr.

It’s a roller only. Wish I could find a complete package for 2k lol. Not around Orlando. Everyone wants big bucks for anything decent for someone like me just getting into the sport for fun versus renting. I figure by the time I convert this with an Odenthal mount, motor and whatever other bits and pieces I may need, I’m realistically looking at $3200-$3500. Pluses are it’s got the Mychron 4 on there, extra set of tires and a lifting cart. I’m also looking at an 18 OTK with an IAME for 4k with the Mychron or $3500 without or an older 08 CRG TaG with a ROK and electronics for $2900. That last one doesn’t excite me as much due to the age….could be sagged out by now.

We have converted several OTK chassis to 4 stroke/LO206 karts. If the engine is mounted far right and the drum clutch is installed inboard then chain clearances isn't much of an issue.

Alternatively the Rotax engine is very reliable and easy to maintain. It is rated at close to 30 hp and at that price will give you good bang for your buck. Give it a whirl before converting, you might like it
Thanks…this is my exact question basically as to what is involved with the conversion?
Move the rear sprocket inboard
Odenthal Mount
Ghost or LO206
Move seat left
Clutch, chain and possibly rear sprocket
Should I go a certain pitch versus another?

I like 219 chain better then #35 .
Yes that covers the majority of your issues with the switch .
The inboard key way could present a small issue easily solved if its not there .
Sounds like a good choice for you .
Then if you happen on a rotax your set .
Compu-kart and Clarksr have excellent knowledge and for sure won't steer you wrong .

Sincerely appreciate the replies guys. It’s nice when you can get support from others with experience in these areas that have been there and done that as a newbie and not get flamed and shamed. I’ll take a look at the rear axle and see if by chance it has pins for the keyway to move the sprocket inboard. One of the local kart sellers has been really helpful in sharing some opinions like just getting a 2 stroke and limiting the pedal until I get seat time and turn up the wick when I’m ready. But if I know myself, it’s all or nothing and I’d probably put it into a barrier my first weekend out 🤣

Right now I have no intention of racing. It’d be a side hobby once a month at OKC or Bushnell versus renting their commercial karts. All I do is work and need an outlet every once in a while. Money really isn’t the issue but I really don’t want to break the bank for something that’ll sit more than it’s used. It’d be nice if LO206’s were readily available around here or they weren’t pushing $1,000. OKC doesn’t have a Ghost class but that wouldn’t matter right now and I could swap out the Ghost if I came across a 206 and wanted to compete. Have to double check if tech would poo-poo this chassis with a conversion, but again that’s either down the road or moot for what I’m looking to do at the moment which is just turn some laps on owner days and relieve some stress. 😊
I had no intentions of racing either. Just wanted play around with my brothers In a make shift yard track. Needless to say two years later and we have had some of the most fun we've ever had at our weekly show. Make sure you get something you can race when the urge arrives.

Alternatively I have a long track ready Praga Dark chassis with a fresh GT Machine LO206 for $1200. Add ur gauge and go.
Will add a rolling kart stand for $100.
Comes with a few quarts of oil, two new axles and spare seat. See pix in the "For Sale" section. Pick up in Pensacola, cannot ship.

We have 5 Rotax engines and beat the stuffing out of them running road race enduros, sprint and track days. Three are EVOS and two are non-EVOS. Over the course of two seasons we broke one con-rod. Maybe we are incredibly lucky.

Alternatively I have a long track ready Praga Dark chassis with a fresh GT Machine LO206 for $1200. Add ur gauge and go.
Will add a rolling kart stand for $100.
Comes with a few quarts of oil, two new axles and spare seat. See pix in the "For Sale" section. Pick up in Pensacola, cannot ship.
Comp…just sent you another pm when you get a moment buddy.

Back