New old maxxis durometer drop advice

Hey guys, I've been working tires for a while but I have a set of maxxis pinks and blues that are brand new, but about 4 years old. From sitting in the trailer they got pretty hard and punched almost 70 on the duro, lol. But after rolling some inside prep, heat cycling with the box and some outer swiping, I've gotten them down to 55 duro. They feel waaay better but they seem to be locked at 55 durometer. They take prep fine and aren't acting "logged", I just cant seem to get them any softer. Ive got several other sets from this year and I was able to use way less prep to get them where I wanted.

A good scuff session will help I'm sure but in all my dealings with tires, I've never had a set act quite like this. Anyone in similar situations have any advice?

Thanks!

It's because they've cured so long, I wouldn't worry about matching a certain duro number, just expect to use little more volume of prep.
They remind of the old Vega Reds that sat in their shipping containers too long, only, not nearly as bad. The tires have gotten better but I'm assuming the extra needed prep is due to the oils coming out of the tire over time.

It just seems like once they got to 55, they don't want to go lower.

They remind of the old Vega Reds that sat in their shipping containers too long, only, not nearly as bad. The tires have gotten better but I'm assuming the extra needed prep is due to the oils coming out of the tire over time.

It just seems like once they got to 55, they don't want to go lower.
Ya the added cure time affects the absorption rate.

Yup. Same thing the old blues do. The blues are so old now that they're almost not worth it to get them down where you need them, we have about 8 new sets sitting and they won't drop without getting very aggressive with them. So I haven't bothered trying to get the new ones ready.

Those pinks will probably need more internal to make them work now.

Yup. Same thing the old blues do. The blues are so old now that they're almost not worth it to get them down where you need them, we have about 8 new sets sitting and they won't drop without getting very aggressive with them. So I haven't bothered trying to get the new ones ready.

Those pinks will probably need more internal to make them work now.
Yes I'd agree 25 cc more internal

Back