New out of the box Animal to purple plate, what should be done?

Rikk

What should be done to the Animal as it comes from B&S to run purple plate? Is there a standard list of blueprinting/mods that should be completed, like with the flathead?

I've had good success with 2 FH builds using Jimmy Glenn's and Garry Fischer's books, but can't seem to find anything on the Animal.

Thanks

I knew someone would say that. :)

I have spoke with him about purchasing a new engine, but I want to do all the work myself and was hoping that by having a thread like this, it may help someone else out down the line who wants to build their own engine.

I have a kit motor that has the machine work done for you and the carb set up and you can take it from there.
Instructions included

Rikk,
The only thing I know available or in print is what I posted in another thread on here that Jamie Webb had posted on the old forums, and a series of articles on the animal written for National Kart News several years ago (when the PVL first came on the engines.)

Many builders offer kits for the DIY'ers. You are a bit above the typical "assembler" in that you have machine capabilities yourself. Now, whether it's worthwhile to do all the machinework yourself, or have someone with more experience with the engines and the rules is a decision only you can make. Like any other engine, there is a whole lot of work that goes into making into a race engine. Machining, blueprinting, flowbench time, dyno tuning, etc. All that said, the most critical thing on a small plate animal is the carburetor in my opinion. (In fact, that may be true of unrestricted engines as well.) Thank God we're not fooling with spring pressures and cams like we do on the flatheads!

If you need any help, just give us a call.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We are not money chasers here at Bullet Motorsports contact me and i will tell what you need to know.Sometimes it just about helping people out !!!!!

Thanks guys for all who have posted thus far.

Thanks Brian, I have the article from Jamie laminated and in my garage right now. And you are right, I have the equipment and ability to do almost all of the work myself and with the exception of boring a block I love to do everything myself. It's about personal satisfaction and maintaining an affordable race program, if there is such a thing.

I appreciate the offers of help to get me pointing in the right direction and I will be taking those offers. I have helped others in the past with the knowledge I have gained here and elsewhere to pay it forward. It's great to see someone make progress and improve their program. I'll be in touch guys. Thanks again!

I love to do everything myself. It's about personal satisfaction and maintaining an affordable race program, if there is such a thing.
^^^ I couldn't agree more. That's why I love doing it too. A lot of info was lost on the old forum, but the good thing is, there are plenty of people here to help out if you get stuck on a problem.

On Purple Plate, your big thing will be carb setup, timing, and header selection. Everything else (for the most part) will be just like the stock engine.

^^^ I couldn't agree more. That's why I love doing it too. A lot of info was lost on the old forum, but the good thing is, there are plenty of people here to help out if you get stuck on a problem.

On Purple Plate, your big thing will be carb setup, timing, and header selection. Everything else (for the most part) will be just like the stock engine.

Since you're here. :) Thanks for taking the time to do the write up that Brian re-posted. Like I said, it's on paper in my shop and I'm sure it's going to get some use here real soon.

for purple
low ring pressure, detention second ring cut scrapper to max etc etc keep oil in it .003/04 cyl to piston clearance low valve spring pressure. high compression, low ex cam duration /lift, high on intake/ max out lift. timing 33/35 pipe .930 max low .9 or high .8 better, carb easy to pick up or loose.5/1 hp with wrong carb tune. dyno best bet for tunning as they don't all act the same so wont spit out ### your result make very

FOR OKS get a big ass driver on it 18 or 19 and don't lock it down or you will be in the back no matter how much HP you have. Its no short track

stock rod is fine. champher bottom of cylinder as it sometimes is real sharp and cuts at piston as the piston skirt comes out of the bore

Got it in hand. 4th or 5th generation. Been off and on the shelf a few times, but its new. I am going to spend some time in the next couple days going through the purple plate section in the wka book and Jamie's write up and go from there.

One question, I have the option of gas or alcohol. Is running alcohol as important to make the most power as it is in a flathead?

Pulled the head off because I wanted to verify the engine was indeed new. Like I said, it's been on and off the shelf and in and out of the trailer a few times. Yup, brand new.

I am amazed at the lack of chamfers and corner breaks on the machining. I wouldn't have accepted that type of work from a first year apprentice. I can see there is going to be lots of clean up work on the block and head. The top of the bore would give a guy a cut requiring stitches if you weren't careful.

What would be a good off the shelf cam for 1/8 mile track? I'm thinking low/mid vs top end mostly because Nico is still a new driver and will have a tendency to lift in the turns.

Your thoughts?

Back