New! Predator 212cc Ghost kart racing engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the mid to late 90's i ran two SA Briggs flatty's with aluminum 3hp flywheels with zero failures and at the time i had no idea that they were time bombs . the only injury's were to my arms trying to crank them due to no momentum . I was young and fearless and sent those motors 8,000 plus ,,,I guess i was just lucky.

I'm not in need of any appreciation. I'm simply pointing out the reality. Is there a possibility sure. But tell us, how many flywheels have you seen come apart on the track. Be honest. Considering the amount of tracks there are all across the country and how many kart racers make countess laps around d them week in and week out, with as many cameras as there at the race track taking video, where are ALL the videos of exploding flywheels. Fact.....there likelihood of it happening is slim. I don't care how many flywheel you all have blown apart on the dyno. As far as hard headed, I didn't make the Ghost engine. I can tell you I wouldn't be afraid to run just as it is. Have you reached out to express your concerns to the guys over the r&d depart for the engine? I'm guessing you haven't considering what your thoughts are on the whole reasoning behind the Ghost project and how long you "think" it won't be around. Do you know how long of a load test the Ghost was ran before it reached a failing point? DO you know what the fail was? I can tell you it wasn't the flywheel? But hey, again what do I know. 🤷🤷
Rod?

In the mid to late 90's i ran two SA Briggs flatty's with aluminum 3hp flywheels with zero failures and at the time i had no idea that they were time bombs . the only injury's were to my arms trying to crank them due to no momentum . I was young and fearless and sent those motors 8,000 plus ,,,I guess i was just lucky.
Aluminum or cast iron 3 hp ?

Do you really think this motor was load tested, or was developed by r&d? Like I say it's most likely a way to offload unwanted parts.
I would think that the American company, evidently making a commitment to buy probably a couple of thousand of these, certainly did some research and product development. Do I think their primary goal was to produce a quality product? No.

Not to downplay the severity of a flywheel explosion but you have a much bigger chance of getting hurt while driving to/from the racetrack. Perhaps this explains the popularity of IRacing?

We should just quit driving too. Cars kill people EVERY SINGLE DAY. They should ban airplanes because they might and do crash. They should get rid of electricity while they're at it cause people get electrocuted all the time. While we're at it, let's put cruise ships on the chopping block as well because the Titanic sank. Lets just put a stop to everything we encounter in the routine of daily living, that might have the slimmest of chances of causing harm. How bout everybody just do what you want to do and don't worry about telling others what they shouldn't. Oh yeah, next time you go to your race track, make dang sure you all go STRAIGHT to the concession stand and tell them how dangerous it for them to sell hotdogs. And make sure to tell a everyone, especially ALL the parents, how stupid they are for buying hotdogs, since they're the number one food choking hazard for children. Which by the way HAS happened more than a flywheel coming apart. Run it or don't. If you choose not to, stay out of people's business who want to.

Last edited:
Pretty obvious you're wasting your time with this one.
Don and I speak on the phone on a regular basis. You're the one wasting your time trying to convince people to not do something on a thread about an engine you're not even going to run. Not everyone is afraid of life. Still waiting on that count of how many flywheels you've come apart on the track. Mine's at ZERO in almost 40 years.

Those aren’t things we have control of my friend.
We also don't have control of what people choose to do. Nor should we. And we (AKRA) nor any other rules organization has done anything to adopt the predator. We don't have the right to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do If we aren't willing to put a rule set in print concerning the engine.

Last edited:
Don and I speak on the phone on a regular basis. You're the one wasting your time trying to convince people to not do something on a thread about an engine you're not even going to run. Not everyone is afraid of life. Still waiting on that count of how many flywheels you've come apart on the track. Mine's at ZERO in almost 40 years.

I just commented that the chosen flywheel was known to be subject to failure. Maybe my exposure to probably 100 times as many engines in test situations as you, and most anyone else on here, has taught me a few things. It was my job to make it a safer sport and I took it seriously. I am largely responsible for the cast wheels being banned, the billets made legal and the pvl developed for the clones by Dyno so I know a little about this matter. I'm not the only one that has posted negatively on this, even on the videos when they first see the flywheel used they commented negatively so get off me dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back