New Raptor smokes

Thomas1971

So I just got done building up a raptor 4 for my mini bike. And when it gets warmed up it starts burning oil. Not cold, just warmed up. This is my 3rd raptor I’ve built and the only one that smokes... every part is brand new, I measured everything, set clearances, and cleaned everything before final assembly. I’m running 14oz of oil, and a pcv valve on the side cover and the stock breather. I put full length valve guides in, reamed and honed them, there set a little tighter clearance than stock. I can’t figure out why it’s burning oil? It runs great though, just frustrating that it smokes

leak down test it and see if it’s sealed up. If your running a synthetic dump it and use some break in oil and go beat the snot out of it.

Do a leak down test and see where it's leaking.
I suspect that you've got a ring upside down, too much end gap, or too much cylinder clearance if the guides are within spec.
You could also have a breather diaphragm stuck, but the additional PCV you installed should handle that...Not sure why you needed the pcv valve to begin with, but I can't really see it hurting if you're venting at the valve cover as normal also.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Do a leak down test and see where it's leaking.
I suspect that you've got a ring upside down, too much end gap, or too much cylinder clearance if the guides are within spec.
You could also have a breather diaphragm stuck, but the additional PCV you installed should handle that...Not sure why you needed the pcv valve to begin with, but I can't really see it hurting if you're venting at the valve cover as normal also.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
What would you recommend for ring end gaps? I believe I set them to wide. It’s a chrome raptor 3 piston, standard bore. I’ve seen on here people saying use over sized rings to get a tighter gap? Does that mean use like a 10 over ring on a standard bore piston and set the ring gap tighter?

The theory that tight ring gaps improve performance is overrated, (some will disagree). If you gapped them around .010 you should be fine. Chances are like someone else said you put one or more in upside down.

Generally, if you have .0025" - .0035" piston to cylinder clearance, your ring end gaps will come out .020" - .022" on the bottom two rings. That's fine and good with stock rings. If you are using low tension or detensioned rings, that may be a bit wide for my liking. The top ring is the one that does all the work in my opinion and needs to be tighter than that. Stock should end up .010" - .015" end gap - that's why you'll hear guys using +.010" ring for the bore (at least on the top ring.) If you used Burris rings, or most any other aftermarket ring (PP or Dyno Cams), the rings will be tighter on ring end gaps.
Now, it's important that your top ring has less ring end gap than the second ring so that you don't trap excess oil and/or compression between the two rings. If the top ring is not snug int he ring land, you can also experience ring flutter.
Remember, the stock rings were designed for low rpm applications such as a rototiller or generator @ 3600 rpm max. Make sure that your bore is straight and square as well. The proper cross hatch, not too course, helps carry oil but not cause too much friction. We plateau hone everything - it makes a difference. Even a slight amount of taper in your cylinder can cause problems like you're seeing too. It takes a little more tools, skill, and experience to build a race engine that is capable of turning twice that rpm using mostly stock parts.

Tell us what cylinder clearance and ring end gaps you used, and that might tell us what's going on -- it might be worth it to check out those top two rings though and see if you have one (or both) in upside down.

Generally, if you have .0025" - .0035" piston to cylinder clearance, your ring end gaps will come out .020" - .022" on the bottom two rings. That's fine and good with stock rings. If you are using low tension or detensioned rings, that may be a bit wide for my liking. The top ring is the one that does all the work in my opinion and needs to be tighter than that. Stock should end up .010" - .015" end gap - that's why you'll hear guys using +.010" ring for the bore (at least on the top ring.) If you used Burris rings, or most any other aftermarket ring (PP or Dyno Cams), the rings will be tighter on ring end gaps.
Now, it's important that your top ring has less ring end gap than the second ring so that you don't trap excess oil and/or compression between the two rings. If the top ring is not snug int he ring land, you can also experience ring flutter.
Remember, the stock rings were designed for low rpm applications such as a rototiller or generator @ 3600 rpm max. Make sure that your bore is straight and square as well. The proper cross hatch, not too course, helps carry oil but not cause too much friction. We plateau hone everything - it makes a difference. Even a slight amount of taper in your cylinder can cause problems like you're seeing too. It takes a little more tools, skill, and experience to build a race engine that is capable of turning twice that rpm using mostly stock parts.

Tell us what cylinder clearance and ring end gaps you used, and that might tell us what's going on -- it might be worth it to check out those top two rings though and see if you have one (or both) in upside down.
Brian had time for a more complete answer, very good.

Back