New rules banning cameras?

1fasttiller

Anyone know why the new NKA updates banned GoPro Use? Will the AKRA follow suit? I think this is a phenomenal tool for a rookie/Jr driver to help both dad and kid. Why would these be made illegal??

2019 NKA rules read:

20.1.1 Cameras & Camera Mounting

20.1.1.1: Up to two (2) cameras (Go Pro or similar) per kart is allowed. Each
camera and clear protective casing is to have the last name of the Legal Entrant
clearly printed on it.

20.1.1.2: Cameras must be hard mounted by bolt and nut to a driver fairing or
side pod. Mounting by use of any form of adhesive is prohibited. The Race
Director or Tech Official may require additional measures.

20.1.1.3: Mounting any camera to the helmet in any way is prohibited at all
times. This includes any form of mounting to the shell of the helmet, or the
mounting of any type of video or camera system inside the helmet, such as in the
viewport.

I don't read anything in the rules "banning" them.

Thanks for pointing that out, I just seen rules update and took it as "No cameras" but it makes sense now, they just don't want them stuck to the helmet with 2 sided tape where they fall off.

Thanks for pointing that out, I just seen rules update and took it as "No cameras" but it makes sense now, they just don't want them stuck to the helmet with 2 sided tape where they fall off.

I believe it is more of a safety precaution as the camera being a "foreign" object attached to the helmet, not the problem of them falling off the helmet.

Actually, they don't want them on the helmet with tape where they DON'T fall off, and become a puncture prone item, localizing impact force and injuring the driver more than the helmet would alone... (See: Michael Schumacher) I think it's a dumb rule, because I haven't seen a single study where the same type of injury occurred... Michael's helmet was in extreme cold, and his impact just right, and I don't think ski helmets are SNELL certifiied, typically....at least not to the same standard. But anyhow, if you want driver POV cams, look into the new "eyeglass" type cams, or the ones that attach to the eyeport foam area.... of course these also have effects in a crash, but there's no way to police them...
EDIT: I see that some orgs have banned these too? Guess they're going to have to get picky about enforcement....wait until the fiber optic cameras surface....tech line will be hours long....we all evaluate risk tolerance differently. I'd be far more worried about the lack of safety tech at most tracks than helmet cams attached with velcro or double sided tape...)

It is a good rule anything attached to the helmet can snap the neck, puncture the shell, there are many that screw, bolt, rivet mounts on helmets which again is wrong. Don't wait until there is enough data to implement common sense safety rules, that is the wrong way to go about preventative procedures. Think of the Pinto, Oh we have a dozen explosions lets put the wheels in motion to study what to do.

The prohibition against helmet mounted cameras is not a new NKA rule ... NKA rules have prohibited helmet mounted cameras since 2016 ... the 2019 update only adds language which additionally prohibits ... " the mounting of any type of video or camera system inside the helmet, such as in the viewport."

Jim Stone
NKA Technical Inspector

Back